starting strength gym

Thread: Texas Method Help

Default Texas Method Help

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello,

First my info:
    39 years old, 5' 10", 265 lbs

I am currently running the Texas Method and am in the running it out phase.
    Last week (week 12) these were my workouts.

Monday (Volume day)
    Bench 5 sets of 5 at 290 lbs

On this workout I failed the last rep of the bench press on the last set. This may have contributed to the problem I am asking about. But, I normally workout in the evening and this workout I did early in the morning as I was off work this day. I was not feeling great this workout and was lacking in energy.

Wednesday (Light day)
    Press 3 sets of 5 at 155 lbs

Friday (Intensity day)
    Bench 2 sets of 3 at 325 lbs

Now my problem is that on Friday's workout I was doing my bench (in a rack with safeties in place) and the first set went fairly well. I felt like I had lost some tightness when unracking the bar myself. So, I asked a fellow gym goer to give me a liftoff. I specifically told him that I only wanted a liftoff as I have safeties in place. Then for the set he proceeded to keep trying to put hands on the bar. Finally after finishing the second rep I stopped at the top and told him to keep hands off the bar. I then proceeded to fail that last rep. So, my question is, what do I do now? Should I redo the whole week for the bench on the next cycle? Should I drop down to 3 sets of 2 and go to the next weight? Should I do a 2.5 pound jump instead of the 5 lbs I am doing every other week? Or something else? I possibly could have gotten the last rep if I hadn't of stopped to tell him to keep hands off, but there is no way to no for sure. Also, having failed 1 rep on volume day is concerning as well.
    Thanks for any insight.

I would just eat an extra burrito for the lost reps and proceed as normal.

First Three Questions. My bet is that your rest periods aren't long enough between sets or you aren't going up 2.5 lbs (assuming since you are working out in a gym). If the first three questions are satisfactory:

Think about adjusting your volume day to be around 260 lbs. That is 80%. Take your Friday to a single set of 3 with two back-off sets of 5 @ around 90%. This should provide some additional tonnage and allow you to keep adding weight to the bar on intensity day.

Keep us posted on what you do and the result.