starting strength gym

Thread: Question about the power clean....

Default Question about the power clean....

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    On P188 of the Barbell Prescription, Program 1B subs power cleans in workout B. I've got two major concerns, and would like a bit of help. If my question is found in the book, please tell me (I juggle bw the blue book and BP...)

Concern 1:
    Ive never done a power clean and have no coaching to assist. Closest coach is Pete in Orlando, and I can't make it there. I am not interested in having my 15yo son teach me.....even though he's a better athlete than I ever was.

Concern 2:
    The 'jump' motion.... Any type of jump (even jumping rope) causes back discomfort, due to my history of back injuries. The move 'violent' the jump is, the more pain exists. Couple that with concern 1...

Could a possible solution be to introduce chin ups instead of PCs? I want to do PCs, but the risk isn't worth it.

Thanks.

Chins should have already started. If cleans hurt your back, just do light deadlifts on light day.

Thanks for the reply. I'm an idiot. I'm 45yo, and was not looking at the Masters program. I'm clearly at 2B, which is a relief, as it addresses my DL concerns, being worn out from them.

For chin ups/pull ups, it gives no set/reps. If I remember one of your videos correctly, we are to get to 3x12 reps of body weight pull ups, then add weight? Correct?

And you prescribe CHIN ups (palms facing me), not PULL ups (palms facing away), correct?

Thanks, and sorry for my confusion above with the clean question.

Shit... I just saw the answer to my question on pages 134-135. Please delete and don't post before Rip bans me from the site forever.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    Shit... I just saw the answer to my question on pages 134-135. Please delete and don't post before Rip bans me from the site forever.
    If Rip banned everyone who asked a question covered in one of the books, these would be very quiet (and less entertaining) forums.