starting strength gym

Thread: My version of a 4-Day Texas method.

Question My version of a 4-Day Texas method.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My Uni internship suddenly turned up so I will have to quit boxing because of the schedule and will only focus on lifting. For this reason I will switch from the usual 3-Day TM to a 4-day one. The problems I have with the modified 4-day ones that I've seen around are:
    1) They all turn into a ULDUP where the frequency of each lift is only twice a week whereas I need to squat atleast 3 times a week. How would you suggest for me to make a template where I increase pressing and pulling volume (not just deadlifts)? I managed to tinker with the low squat volume by adding 2 back-off sets on ID at 2x2@90%1RM and so far have gained 7.5kg in my squat.
    2)Could I keep the template as I have, while just adding a day between VD and RC for a second Deadlift day (with more volume unlike the 1x5 max of ID) while adding some accessories such as Hip Thrusts,Good mornings, Chins/Dips etc? Such a program would look like

Monday: (Volume Day)
    Squat 5x5 90%5RM
    OHP or Bench press 5x8 75%5RM
    Pendlay Rows 3x6
    Arms

Tuesday: (Accessories)
    Deadlifts 3x6 RPE8
    Hip Thrusts 3x10
    Good Mornings 3x10
    Weighted Dips 3x10

Thursday: (Recovery Day)
    Squats 3x5 (80% of Monday)
    OHP or Bench press 3x8 75%5RM
    Chin up 3xFailure

Friday: (Intensinty Day)
    Squat 1x5RM
    Deadlift 1x5RM
    OHP or Bench Press 5RM
    Squat Back Off 2x2@90%1RM*******
    Arms

A couple thoughts. One, if you're already deadlifting twice a week, I'm not sure that more pulling volume is necessary. I would consider alternating weekly light deadlifts with other pulls like cleans or snatches on Tuesdays. Personally I do 3x5 deadlifts at 80% of my ID weight but that's because I suck at racking the cleans.

For pressing movements, think about doing both press and bench twice a week (search for Nick Delgadillo's article on intermediate upper body programming). My upper day 1 is 5x5 bench and around 9 reps on press (3x3, 4x2, or 1x5-6 plus 2x2 backoffs). Day 2 is 5x5 press and around 5 reps bench (2x3, 3x2, or 1x5). Plus chins on one of those days.

I've wondered about adding a recovery day for squats myself, but I haven't done it, mostly because of time constraints. I do 5x5 for volume and 3x3 intensity though so still 8 sets a week. If you're doing good mornings plus a bunch of pulling I don't know that you need that much back work in a week. But maybe you can tolerate it. But with squats and pulls being complementary, I'm guessing at some point down the road you're going to need to reduce volume in one or the other.

Please let us know what you end up doing and how it works for you, though.

1. What are yours numbers in each main lift and your bodyweight ? Are you advanced intermidiate or fresh out of novice ?
    2. Why sets of 8 reps on presses ?
    3. Why sets of 6 on rows ?
    4. Why 3 sets of 6 of deadlift ?
    5. Why sets of 10 on wheighted dips but no added wheight on chinups ?
    6. In my experience, after 3 sets of 6 of heavy deadlift you go home and eat.
    7. What are you trying to achive with this program ?

1) 315,250,460. Intermediate lifter
    2) Trying to achieve strength through volume and hypertrophy there
    3)6 feels like a good all around number for both hypertrophy and strength while keeping fatigue relatively low
    4)I mistyped, meant 5. Reason is more volume simply with more sets, I can recover well.
    5)haven't trained chin ups in a while so my max reps are 8 in a fresh state, after I raise them to 20 I will add weight
    6)see #4
    7)Strength through volume on upper body while keeping it around the basics on squats.

What is your opinion on my back off sets?

A few points:
    - stick to sets of 5 on big lifts. 5 reps offer the most from both hypertrophy and strenght.
    - 4 days a week you could benefit from pressing 4 times.
    - drop the accessorie work on pulling. I don't think those 3x10 and barbell rows are good idea.
    - I don't think your arms needs 2 dedicated workouts.
    - yours sqats are kind off light in relation to your deadlift. You sure you need backoff sets and squat 3xweek ?

Here is my suggestion:
    1) -squat 5x5
    -Bench 5RM
    -Dips

2) -press 5x5
    -Deadlift 5RM
    -Dedicated arms work if you want it

3) -squat 5RM + back of sets if needed (or it could be other sets&reps as intensity day)
    -Bench 5x5
    -Chinups

4)-press 5RM
    -Close grip bench 3x5-8 as a upper body hypertrophy component if you want it
    -Power clean/snatch 3-5 sets of 3
    -Deadlift 3x5 or rackpulls or some other pull variation

If you look at this week from overall stres perspective it is something like
    Heavy
    Heavy
    Medium
    Light/medium - depends on how heavy you will pull on that day

You get to do 5x5 on upper body twice a week so there is enough volume for hypertrophy. You choose your weight based on the performance at intensity day.

You could also alternate 5RM deadlift with other heavy pull variation and go for PR every other week. Depends how good you can recover from pulls.

If you feel like you need friday to be light you can drop the pulls and go for sets of 8 with barbell rows as a hypertrophy component.

I just think that you tried to put too much of everything in your program.

It is probobly enough to do 3x8 of some curls for your arms. Triceps gets a lot of work from all the pressing.

starting strength coach development program
    Your version lacks squat frequency which works best for me (btw I hit a 355 squat PR today). As for fitting too much in, I have it autoregulated in some cases for that reason and my recovery always felt good, for example I can hit 5RMs the big 3 and still have plenty energy left even on a slight caloric deficit/maintenance (youth+healthy habits I guess)