starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kid is in HS football, how to work around it?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    He will be pissed if he's only going to work shoulders, and not squat/DL. And I don't care... Again, I'm not conducting an experiment. If it's not a good idea, we won't go. I'm just curious why it would be a bad idea.

He's athletic, and strong. Not skinny. Not fat. Very muscular, fit and fast. And he's got a lot of strength to gain as well, whether it be the SS method, or whatever the football team program is doing. (they have summer workouts too...M-Th.....)

I just am certain he's not doing overhead press. That's the biggest lift he'd do on a Saturday (or Sunday). And I'd tell him to go very light on squat or DL (like 60-70%). That is assuming it's a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by bikesandcars View Post
    What does your son say? Is he tired on Saturday? Is he energetic? Does he even want to barbell train?

I don't get this Spring football business. The football offseason is for strength training. If there's no offseason then when is training supposed to happen?

I met a young guy at my gym recently who was a standout HS football player at slot and safety. He's in his early twenties and had never touched a barbell until he joined the gym a few weeks ago. Maybe this is the future. Leave the serious training stuff until after the HS football nonsense is over.

This is my recommendation. High School Coaches cannot train them correctly, and they prevent anybody else from doing so. Best to just wait.

starting strength coach development program
    I believe Rips advice was lost in this discussion. The eating. Not training shoulders. Since the training is being ruined by his school - training is pointless. The best thing your kid can do now is to simply gain weight. 15 at 160 isn't bad but 180 would be better. If you really want to help, wake up earlier and make your son a massive plate of eggs, bacon, potatoes and fruit every morning. Extra light squat days wont help. Buy gallons of milk and don't worry about pressing until the off season when he can train correctly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12