starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kid is in HS football, how to work around it?

Default Kid is in HS football, how to work around it?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So my son is in spring football. Their training for the remainder of the semester is:
    Tues - upper and conditioning
    Wed - lower and conditioning
    Thurs - 'core' and conditioning

I was thinking to hit the gym on Saturday or Sunday, with squats, press, and DL. It would be only 1x/week, since he's working out on the schedule above.

I could also do Friday (squat, bench, DL) and Sunday (squat, press, DL), but my gut says that's too much.

What do you all think?

For him, or you?

Him. I'm on novice LP, and doing well.....,outside of my squat sucking. Working with Pete to fix it.

Are you trying to kill him? He's already not eating enough to recover from the bullshit they have him doing at school, and you want to double the work.

Okay, so no Friday and Sunday workout. I am not trying to kill him, no.

Since he's getting zero press work done, would it make sense to do light (80-90%) on squat & DL plus press on a Saturday (or Sunday) or just do nothing?

The school has fixed things up so that you don't have access to his training until they are through with him. Just try to make him eat.

Thanks for the reply. Can you please help me understand how his upper body training with his team on Wednesdays, then following up with press only workout on a Saturday (or Sunday) doesn't give him enough time?

I'm not interested in him being a Guinea pig in my programming experiment. I honestly thought that would be enough recovery time. Trying to learn, because I don't know shit about this stuff.

Thanks.

PS - if it's in the book, tell me, and I will find it.

What did he have for breakfast this morning? Supper last night?

For context, he's 15yo. 5'7". Weighs about 160ish. Thick lower body, very fast. Plays OLB, and should start on JV, and may be called up mid season to varsity next fall as a sophomore.

Last night, had 2 hamburgers (big ones) and some salad. Had an apple after. May have had a glass of whole milk. Bfast this AM was a huge bowl of cheerios with whole milk & an apple.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Can you please help me understand how his upper body training with his team on Wednesdays, then following up with press only workout on a Saturday (or Sunday) doesn't give him enough time?
    It's hard to comment in detail without knowing details.

As a young man full of hormones and under an existing exercise program he may see a huge benefit from eating more (assuming he is skinny). Is your son skinny, average, fat?

"Conditioning" for high school football almost always involves lower body exhaustion by running laps, sprints, sled pulls, etc. How this program is laid out is interesting, it's like they beat the kids lower body down for 3 straight days then let them recover for 4. Is this a valid way to drive supercompensation?(Legitimately don't know).

What does your son say? Is he tired on Saturday? Is he energetic? Does he even want to barbell train?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast