starting strength gym

Thread: Something like NLP with added olympic lifts.

Default Something like NLP with added olympic lifts.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    This is what I've been doing for a couple weeks and have been liking quite a bit.

Week 1

Monday

Deadlift
    OHP
    Pullups
    C&J

Wednesday

Front squat
    Bench
    Chest supported rows

Friday

Squat
    OHP
    Pullups
    Snatch

Week 2

Monday

Squat
    Bench
    Chest supported rows

Wednesday

Front squat
    OHP
    Pullups
    C&J

Friday

Squat
    Bench
    Chest supported rows

The Clean and Jerk alternate every other workout, so this program would just be slightly different in weeks 3 and 4 to account for that.

In a month that's 6 heavy back squat sessions, 4 heavy front squat, 2 heavy deadlift, 6 heavy bench, 6 heavy OHP, 3 C&J, and 3 Snatch. The sets and reps are all pretty much as they'd be in starting strength. So one heavy set of deadlifts (I hit 5 or 6 then back off for 20 seconds then hit another 1 or 2 with a couple shrugs), 3 heavy work sets for the other barbell lifts, pull-ups are always to failure but not weighted, rows are higher rep like 10-15.

This is just my current understanding of things, which may be wrong, but I think front squatting helped my back squat a lot, as did snatch. The first time I dropped into an overhead squat after a power snatch I realized I'd found a major key to improving my back rigidity in the squat. Since then I've just been working form and taking time to improve overhead stability, which again, I think really helped my back squat. Front squat also helped here, but I think I also had some muscular imbalances in my legs that front squatting corrected, so I'm very happy with what that's done for my back squat as well.

I prefer chest supported rows over barbell rows. If I get back pain reliably from any lift its the barbell row.

I like the reduced deadlift frequency. I'm pretty sure its squat work that's driving up my deadlift anyway, and I'm doing enough of that to grow at the moment.

I'll likely stick with this program as written over the next few months. Right now I'm eating a bit more than I was in the second half of last year. I've put on about 7-8 lbs over the past 2 months, went from 185 lbs to 193 now, and would like to keep it at about that rate.

I finished the traditional NLP about a year ago, at which time I weighed 205-210 and had an 1150 lb total. I didn't like how fat I was so I cut, and eventually got down to a very lean and weak 185, maybe a 925 total. Now I'm around 1000. I'm 6'1, good hormone levels, definitely plenty of room for development and I'm really liking the process now that I've brought in the olympic lifts.

I'll try to remember to post something here in a couple months. I figure I'll get my strength back quickly, so it'll be interesting to see how long this program yields gains.

We're so happy!

ah ok.

I added in dips following bench. I realize most no one probably cares, but for the few that will see this that might, I figured I'd write it up here.

I'm very happy with this program as it is right now. The jerk I've switched to a squat jerk, which looks aesthetically unappealing but I really like what the overhead squat work does for my back. The split jerk I noticed was creating a kind of asymmetrical development in my hips, so I stopped.

There are 3 pushing movements now with the addition of the dips, all at 0, 90, or 180 degrees from the vertical press, so full spectrum of pushing movement. Pulls are also full spectrum. Pullups, chest-supported rows, cleans/snatches, and deadlifts. Theres a good synergy between the anterior activation of the front squat and the posterior activation of the back squat, as well. It feels like a very complete and yet simple program.

Anyway, very happy. I read Mark say once that you begin with the NLP and once your an intermediate you kind of do your own thing. Well I did do it, as mentioned, even if I completely derailed after. Been going to the gym since I was 14 doing all sorts of dumb shit. Really like this though, still can't tell if Mark was serious or sarcastic in his comment, but the fundamental approach, and maybe philosophy, laid out in the books has brought me a good bit of happiness.

He was being sarcastic - and your programming is pretty awful. You're going to clean and jerk after a full body workout including heavy deads? That's a disaster. You also do not need to front squat anytime soon. Just do what Rip reccomends: the NLP as written with oly practice 2x a week on off days. Where the practice is snatching and clean and jerking. Learn to split jerk, your hips will be fine.

How is this like NLP?

starting strength coach development program
    Goggle search the KISS Principle

Instead of fucking around with OLY bullishit run another NLP, but don't get fat. That should be easy for you since you are 6'1. If you can weigh 225 - 250 and be really strong (squatting 500 for sets across) your Olympic lifts will be through the roof.

After that, just pick an Olympic lifting program from Practical Programing.

Don't reinvent the wheel, just do the program as its designed and move to something more advanced when you are more advanced.