starting strength gym

Thread: Road trip exercise selection, no rack

Default Road trip exercise selection, no rack

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi, been doing the novice SS for a few months and NLP working fine, doing squats (165lbs), press (100), bench press (125), deadlifts (145) and lat pulldowns (about half bodyweight 3 sets of 12). Tore my right lat doing negative pullups a month ago, seems fine now but am quite careful not to tear it again, that's why the DL and lat pulldowns aren't higher. I couldn't deadlift an empty bar a month ago...

Going on a road trip with a campervan, will take a bar and some plates with me. Still missing a rack I can fit in the van (working on that though) and have been thinking about what exercises I could do on the trip.

Presses and deadlifts obviously. Am thinking of Zercher in place of the low bar squats and floor presses in place of the bench press. I could start cleaning too, but still happy with just deadlifting.

The Zercher has many variations, I'm thinking of deadlift to the knees, rack on the elbows, set of 3 squats, maybe do a walk if there's room. Any experience and tips on these?

Is there anything better than the floor press to replace the bench press?

Any other ideas?

Is your husband training with you?

Quote Originally Posted by halides View Post

Any other ideas?
    Did you consider driving your campervan to a gym? Any country that has campervan related infrastructure will have a gym within 100 miles in any direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Is your husband training with you?
    Recently divorced, so no.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    Did you consider driving your campervan to a gym? Any country that has campervan related infrastructure will have a gym within 100 miles in any direction.
    Probably will do that when the situation warrants, however I'd rather do some lifts than miss a workout if I don't feel like sitting in a slow, cumbersome campervan for hundreds of miles for the sake of getting a workout.

Sheesh, honest questions, honest answers, eh?

Maybe I'll just clean and press so y'all can sleep better.

We have addressed this dozens of times: If you are going on a Vacay away from training facilities, just enjoy the trip. You can't train where the equipment is not available, and you shouldn't try, because it fucks up both training and Vacay.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    We have addressed this dozens of times: If you are going on a Vacay away from training facilities, just enjoy the trip. You can't train where the equipment is not available, and you shouldn't try, because it fucks up both training and Vacay.
    Fair enough, thanks coach!

starting strength coach development program
    I have a question. I'm in the middle of a 3 week hiatus from training. Is there any benefit to doing bodyweight exercises like pushups, paused air squats, chins, etc? I suspect the answer is probably "no" since they're so obviously submaximal (with the exception of chins). But I find after about 5 days I end up getting a really annoying muscle soreness from the inactivity and this stuff sort of helps. Beyond feeling better is there any benefit to keeping the movement patterns fresh? Or is it better to just come back to the gym fresh and work back up to prior levels?

Currently running 4-day TM if it matters.