starting strength gym

Thread: 50+ male lifter using women's powerlifting template ??

Default 50+ male lifter using women's powerlifting template ??

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm 56 and frustrated by lack of progress on some programs that used to work well for me. I'm considering trying templates from some of the more accomplished Female powerlifters (Jennifer Thompson, Megsquats, etc.) because they train with lower levels of testosterone than us 50+ male lifters, and if they make progress, I should too. For example Jennifer Thompson trains bench like this:

Week 1 - Heavy, train at or close to failure, increase weight upon 5 reps on 3rd set
    Day 1 - 3 x 5 (sets across) bench, 3 x 5 incline (sets across)
    Day 4 - Tricep work - 3 x 8 skulls, closegrip, etc.

Week 2 - Speed/Singles (add weight above 95% when it feels light)
    Day1 - 75%,85%,95% x 1 for bench with 1 second pause, 3 x 5 65% bench with band, incline db 3 x 8
    Day 4 - Tricep work

My other thought was to try Andy Bakers - 3 week wave: Sunday - heavy 4, 2, or 1 bench Tuesday - Volume (3 x 5, 3 x 7, whatever)

I'm sure some of you have thought of trying female PLer routines for older guys already, so I appreciate any input.
    6'2" - 235 lbs, 255-260 bench, 405-415 dead, squat - I don't squat to parallel because my knees are worn, but in my late 40s I squatted 495 (and pulled my groin walking it back!)

What stage of advancement are you? The elite lifters you mentioned have likely gone through the stages of development and following their program is probably unsuitable. There are some very advanced lifter though, who follow very simple programs - Coan, Karwoski, JM Blakey, etc. Always start with simplicity first.