starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Failed rep on squat (Need help)

Question Failed rep on squat (Need help)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm a 18 year old male around 80 kg who began with Starting Strength about a month ago. I have been doing another program earlier (during half a year) but stalled on the main lifts so I decided to switch to Starting Strength. I have been starting with lower weights that I use to lift in hope to milk out the linear progression. I was training yesterday but failed on my squat. It was really heavy and I think my form was worse as well.
    I did 3x5 on Squats on 97.5 kg, but couldn't do the last rep on my last set and failed. When I did 95 kg it was "okay" in my opinion so I tried to increase the next time. When I trained on my other program earlier I also stalled on 97.5 kg for 5 reps, and never hit the 100 kgs. I am trying to eat a lot (but don't know if it is "enough) and sleep about 8 hours a day. What should I do next time? Try again with the same weight? Decrease? I rest minimum 5 minutes between the sets if it feels very heavy. The other exercises except squat are so far so good. I feel like I am weak at squats but strong at other exercises such as deadlifts, how is that possible? I made 165 kg deadlifts for 5 reps on my other program but still couldn't do 100 kg squat.
    Please help me with some advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Yes I've read those and I believe it might have to do with the food part. I don't count calories as that leads to eating disorders to me but I probably need to increase my intake. However, squats are the only exercise that I fail on. I am going to try tomorrow as well and rest >5 minutes in order to see how that works out.

Goddamn. It's like talking to the 45-pound plates.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Goddamn. It's like talking to the 45-pound plates.
    I succeeded with 3x5 today with around 7 minutes rest and a lot of food. However, I am not sure about the form as it tends to worsen at "heavier" weights. Should I continue with the same weight until my form is perfect or continue the linear progression with increasement next time?

Continue, but next time rest at least 10 minutes. If you are not sure about your form, make a video of your set and compere it to what you can find at SS YouTube. Very often good rep feels like shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Szymon View Post
    Continue, but next time rest at least 10 minutes. If you are not sure about your form, make a video of your set and compere it to what you can find at SS YouTube. Very often good rep feels like shit.
    Do you mean continue to increase or continue with the same weight?

More weight on the bar.

More weight on the bar.
    I am also still on phase 2. Should I continue with phase 2 or switch to phase 3? I have heard that you should switch once you can't recover from deadlifts. But I still can (only at 110 kg with 2,5 kg increasements). My squats are the one's making me suffer.

starting strength coach development program
    More weight on the bar.
    I did 4x1 and 2x5 today at 100 kg. Rested around 12 minutes and my form was weakened. Did not go below parallell (I think at least, hard to know since I didn't record) but failed on my last set when I tried to do that. The hardest part of the lift for me seems to be on the way up just exactly below parallell. I could have completed my first set with 5 completed reps if it wasn't for seeking good depth. I think I will do 100 kg next session as well and try to get 3x5 with good rest and a lot of food. I am considering buying a belt since I only have shoes at the moment, would this maybe support my core and develop more strength into my lifts? I have read a little bit about it and it seems like a good accessory to wear during squats and deadlifts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast