starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3rd shift recommendations

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    thank you for that read.

my rest time between sets is 5min. my nutrition is on par...I eat about 4500 calories a day. good quality calories...93/7 lean beef for most protien intake and salmon. smart carbs and plenty of spinach and Brussels. I definitely dont make big jumps on my lifts. just 5lb across all my lifts except the press its 2.5. Now....my sleep on the other hand I know is lacking. I normally get 6 hrs of sleep with a melatonin. I sleep from 9-3 on most. days..i try to sleep 9-5 but usually dont succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnathletics View Post
    my rest time between sets is 5min.
    It's like talking to the goddamn 45-pound plates.

Now....my sleep on the other hand I know is lacking. I normally get 6 hrs of sleep with a melatonin. I sleep from 9-3 on most. days..i try to sleep 9-5 but usually dont succeed.
    With a couple of decades of rotating shifts under my belt, the game changer for me on the third shift sleeping schedule was to start treating it like a normal day job. In other words, I don't go to sleep right after a day shift, and I don't after a mid (third) shift. Figure out how much time you need to wake up, eat, commute, etc., to show up on time, count back your 8-9 hours, and that's your bedtime. For me, that means ~1pm. Once I started doing that and got into the rhythm, my sleep is better than it has ever been on that shift, which means that I have more energy through the shift and the following morning. Luckily I have the support of my wife and, while he was still in the house, a bit of understanding from the teenager.

You've gotta pump up those rest times, in bed and under the bar!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It's like talking to the goddamn 45-pound plates.
    I will implement 7-8minutes next time I work out and report back. thanks!

sooo...thanks rip for the link and advice the extra rest times helped out my lifts tremendously. I got all my 3x5s today and my previous workout. form is feeling better since I'm not so out of breathe

starting strength coach development program
    sooo...thanks rip for the link and advice the extra rest times helped out my lifts tremendously. I got all my 3x5s today and my previous workout. form is feeling better since I'm not so out of breathe
    Amazing isn't it? Resting more than 5 mins. I'm 51 and rest can be easily 10 mins between sets on the squat and deadlift.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12