starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3rd shift recommendations

Default 3rd shift recommendations

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I dont rotate shifts..luckly...just straight 3rds 6 days a week. with forced overtime. just wondering some suggestions for maybe a program adjustment or volume. my job isnt super physical but nonetheless it's a job. and my sleep isnt all that great. I havent completely read the practical program but still chugging along. also I'm a novice age 35..weight 215. 6'0"

squats 280 3x5
    press 115 3x5
    deadlift 305 x5
    bench 155 3x5(working on form) to muchshoulder
    bb row 165 3x5

I just switch my wensday squat to a light day...80% of mondays weight. which I saw in the practical programming 18 week example.

thanks ahead of time

Greetings:

Sometimes life sucks.

Working six nights a week limits your options a bit. If you worked 4-10 or 3-12, then I would shift as many workouts to non-working days as possible. You are going to be more fatigued and get less recovery than most people. Basically you will be artificially aged. You could try some of the Barbell Prescription ideas like putting two rest days between every session instead of using a normal week format.

I used to work for a company where everyone worked night shifts. If this is long term for you, you should build yourself a "coffin" to sleep in. Walk-in closets work great for this. You need a place to sleep that is pitch black and cool to cold. Melatonin helps some people.

In the end NLP will end faster and at a lighter weight and you will have to move to more advanced training earlier than you would if you had a normal schedule.

so true about the artificial aging lol...seroiusly been told I look alot older than my actual age but anyways...yes I'm looking for better ways to deal with fatigue... is there a 4day split for a novice possibly

thanks for your help. I am thinking the samething

Greetings:

There is a four day split variation. It is usually done: work - work - rest - work - work - rest - rest. It can be split one of two ways, either upper-lower or whole body.

Upper - Lower

Day 1 - Squat, Deadlift
    Day 2 - Press, Bench

Full Body

Day 1 - Squat, Press
    Day 2 - Deadlift, Bench

The nice thing about this is that you are only doing two movements per workout, so it feels less fatiguing. My coach prefers the full body split, but upper-lower feels so much better.

The standard vanilla NLP way is the best, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Also I hope someone who actually knows what they are talking about can chime in with some real advice.

I would look for a different job, humans are supposed to sleep at night and I believe third shift is unhealthy for several reasons.
    Yes I’ve worked it (for months at a time as a college kid) many years ago so I know what’s involved.

I’m serious find a job that fits our normal rhythm of life

Quote Originally Posted by shawnathletics View Post
    I dont rotate shifts..luckly...just straight 3rds 6 days a week. with forced overtime. just wondering some suggestions for maybe a program adjustment or volume. my job isnt super physical but nonetheless it's a job. and my sleep isnt all that great. I havent completely read the practical program but still chugging along. also I'm a novice age 35..weight 215. 6'0"

squats 280 3x5
    press 115 3x5
    deadlift 305 x5
    bench 155 3x5(working on form) to muchshoulder
    bb row 165 3x5

I just switch my wensday squat to a light day...80% of mondays weight. which I saw in the practical programming 18 week example.

thanks ahead of time
    I've been working third shift for 20 years. My age, weight, height and lifts are all very close to yours. I'm still going through my LP, and just restarted due to injury, but I have been working out for years, and the best I can tell you is this: STICK TO A ROUTINE AND SET SCHEDULE.

I know forced OT makes this difficult at times, but if you're one of those who flip-flops back to "dayshift" on your day(s) off, then stop doing that. Try to keep your bed time and awake times as close as possible every single day. It's the interruption of your circadian rhythm that causes the health problems, premature aging, poor recoveries, etc... I am rigorous about sticking to my schedule, even during days off, because of this. I am lights out every day at 7:15 A.M. and I am up at 2:30 P.M. every single day. On days off, sometimes I will cash in at 4 A.M. and be up at 2:30 P.M. for extra recovery sleep. Lifting days, I am in the gym by 3:30 P.M. I DO NOT make appointments during my sleeping hours, and I am a general pain in the ass when the doctor's office thinks that I'd love to be there at 11 A.M. for an appointment. No. Don't budge for anyone or anything. I just can't stress this enough.

You just need to be a rigid asshole about this. I am training 3 days a week with no issues. I'm not saying it's as good as day shift, but it's about as good as you can do. Take it from a 20 year night shift vet...

thanks frank,Tony and Bob I appreciate it...this is my first week using a light day for my squat and it helped out TREMENDOUSLY. I felt super strong today for my squat. all my other lifts were on par also.

well I must have had a good day last workout because my squats were super heavy today and failed to meet 3x5..i got 4x3...bench and rows felt heavy also but I got 3x5 on those exercises. I'm thinking of switching to intermediate program early and see if it helps with my fatigue and recovery. I'm very strict with my schedule and nutrition is on par...I'm very frustrated!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast