starting strength gym

Thread: Bleeding during squat

Default Bleeding during squat

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    20200310 013604 — Postimage.org

I have these sores on my back which open every time I squat. I'd like to either skip my light recovery squats on wednesday or replace them with another exercise, such as high bar squats or leg press. At least until these callouses thicken up.

Fix your grip; the bar is moving around on your back, thus opening these blisters.

That pic is nasty, you should heal your back, it should only take a week, just take a week off and come back.

How about wearing 3 shirts?

Haha, I guess that's a joke? I am currently wearing a fairly heavy 100% cotton shirt and have some "ultra cotton" shirts on the way. I got these same exact callouses when I used to squat 16 year ago. Guess I just don't have a lot of fat or muscle for the load to be evenly distributed on my back, so it all lands right on those 2 bony points.

I experimented with leg press on Wednesday. Felt good but we'll see what happens with my squat today.

Does the absence of a lot of threads on this board about this topic indicate that it's a problem for lots of people?

I suppose it could if they all got MRSA and died, which prevented them from posting about it.

I'm concerned the bar might be a bit low, but I'm not sure. It feels very tight and secure and does not slide down my back. After 4 weeks having it way too low I recently moved it up to this position, and started getting the abrasions. It's also odd that the abrasion is much more severe on my left side. I also recently injured my left scapula while pressing.

My shoulder mobility is severely asymmetrical and always has been. If I take my left hand and place it under my shoulder and behind my back, and my right hand over my shoulder behind my back, my fingers overlap a couple inches. But if I try this on the other side my fingers are at least 3 inches apart.

I just throw a microfiber towel across my back (like a cape; I'm Batman!) for a little extra padding when those rub marks get irritated. Usually a week or so of doing this, and they heal up fine.

starting strength coach development program
    I'll see if it can find a microfiber towel. In the meantime I'm switching to high bar until these wounds heal. It's still open after 2 weeks. Taking wednesday off did not hurt my squat progress yet but it didn't allow the skin to heal either.