starting strength gym

Thread: Texas Method Killing Me

Default Texas Method Killing Me

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been doing TM for about 3 months now, switched to a 4 day split about a month ago, and it's been going great. I've been making consistent progress on all of my lifts. Only problem is that it has been absolutely wrecking me. I figured it would get better as my body adapted to the higher intensity, but it's only gotten worse. I'm sore probably about 75% of the time, and it seems like I pull something new every week. I did a deload, but that only marginally helped.

I know the usual answer it to tell me to eat more, but I'm 23, 6'0, and 234ish pounds already at 25ish% BF. I'm eating at a small surplus and I always make sure to get 1 g protein / lb of body weight.

I normally wouldn't have a problem being sore, but it's starting to interfere with my work and studies. Hell, if I sit too long my quads and glutes start cramping. What should I do?

Rest between sets?

I like to use Wendlers analogy of the bag of stress. I’ll paraphrase it as I understand it. You have a bag that fits all your stress. Your body puts all your stressors (intensity, volume, short rest periods, frequency, lack of sleep, lack of food, work stress, life stress, etc). Wendler says that when you add a stress, you need to remove another one. If you try to cram too much stress into the bag, you end up with the symptoms you describe.

Many people automatically look to the program as the cause but it’s usually the case that your lifestyle and program are not a good fit. You can’t provide enough recovery resources to support the program. If you believe in the program, you can stretch the week out. There is no law that says your training week ends to fit into a seven day period. For example I use a four day split using a micro cycle that goes from Monday until the following Wednesday. Granted I’m a 59 year old master, but the theory doesn’t change.

I think you need to re read the section on intermediate programming in PPFST, and find ways to manage your recovery and/or loads vs. volume.

I'd like to know his numbers first. Let's not assume he's actually an intermediate lifter.

The 4 day split is a welcome break from the SSLP. Both mentally and physically. Your recovery should be better not worse. Simple fix. Sleep more, drink less, don't miss workouts, eat more beef and less junk food.

Thank you for the replies!

I take ~5 mins between sets, and I don't have an issue with not being able to continue during my training, it's afterwards. If I take much more time between sets my training sessions would get way too long. I do have a lot of stress with school and some other stuff going on, and my sleep quality hasn't been the best lately but even when it was I've still been having issues.

Numbers:
    Squat - 315 x 5
    DL - 365 x 5
    Bench - 190 x 5
    Press - 125 x5

Goddamn. It's like talking to the 45-pound plates all over again.

The First Three Questions | Mark Rippetoe

You said you're getting your protein buy what does the rest of your diet look like? Since you're already 25-ish percent body fat, can we assume it's not the cleanest diet? Not suggesting you have to go all bodybuilder chicken breast and broccoli but eating more quality food and cutting way down on crap would probably make a big difference. Can't help you on sleep, I sleep like shit. Good luck with your training!

Quote Originally Posted by jbackos View Post

There is no law that says your training week ends to fit into a seven day period. For example I use a four day split using a micro cycle that goes from Monday until the following Wednesday. Granted I’m a 59 year old master, but the theory doesn’t change.
    That's like what I've started doing, I'm 60 and on four day split with a eight day cycle. It's been working well for me

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by FatSquatDude View Post
    Thank you for the replies!
    I take ~5 mins between sets, and I don't have an issue with not being able to continue during my training, it's afterwards. If I take much more time between sets my training sessions would get way too long.
    This isn't making sense. The workouts on the 4 day split are shorter than SSLP. I take 8 min rests on volume days and I still get done within 75 mins.