starting strength gym

Thread: Masters: volume/intensity

Default Masters: volume/intensity

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    In his book Dr. Sullivan discusses the need to sometimes reduce volume for masters while keeping intensity high. I realize the entire SS program is based on the 5 rep set but for someone in their late 60's would 5 sets of 3 be a reasonable substitution for one of the lifts during LP? I had major shoulder surgery over 20 years ago and as I've started my 5th month of LP (fractional plates are great) I've had problems with 5 rep sets in the bench press but I do manage to get 5 sets of 3 with the programmed weight.

I get adequate rest between sets and I'm making small jumps in weight. I'm eating well but sleep is always the usual struggle. The difficulty with reps 4 and 5 is my shoulder (anatomy? lack of cartilage?) and the fact I do train alone but with safety bars.

Input or just reassurance is appreciated.

I dont't use 5s for anything except presses. I've been doing 3s for years. I'm quite sure I've mentioned this in a podcast or 3.

Thank you sir!
    Apparently I haven't heard all the podcasts but I'll keep trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I dont't use 5s for anything except presses. I've been doing 3s for years. I'm quite sure I've mentioned this in a podcast or 3.
    Is that at a lifters discretion ? I'm running an NLP after finishing a recomp and I was noticing how tough it was to return to 5s after Andy Bakers coaching, which was nearly always single, doubles, or triples. It occured to me that 3s might be a better option, but I had your voice in my head telling me I was being a wimp and so I've cracked on with the fives. Should I just get on doing the fives as I'm clearly able to do so, or would 3s be an option. 60 in a few weeks,but no shoulder, knee or back issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    but I had your voice in my head telling me I was being a wimp
    Same experience here but he called me a coward :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Lost and Found View Post
    Same experience here but he called me a coward :-)
    To your face, or in your head ? There are many more additional expletives uttered by the head voice than Rip seems to use.
    I'm starting to refamiliarise my body and mind to doing fahves after many months of threes. The last two reps really tax me, but I'm not giving in.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    To your face, or in your head ? There are many more additional expletives uttered by the head voice than Rip seems to use.
    I'm starting to refamiliarise my body and mind to doing fahves after many months of threes. The last two reps really tax me, but I'm not giving in.
    oh it was just in my head, but clear as a bell.

Somewhere during the 4th month of LP I actually called myself a few other expletives including coward for even thinking about less than 5 reps after Rip mentioned in a podcast that you learn something by attempting that last rep.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost and Found View Post
    oh it was just in my head, but clear as a bell.

Somewhere during the 4th month of LP I actually called myself a few other expletives including coward for even thinking about less than 5 reps after Rip mentioned in a podcast that you learn something by attempting that last rep.
    I wrote a post about discovering the truth of doing the impossible rep.