starting strength gym

Thread: Sport Specific Programming

Default Sport Specific Programming

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Is there anything to the idea that certain exercise variations are good for more sport specific applications? Is this even really necessary if you're already training for general strength? I get the idea of the spectrum of specificity, but isn't training for general strength with much higher weights more beneficial than doing odd variations with less weight, no matter your sport?

I recently got into an argument with some people over programming for Brazilian jujitsu practitioners that got me thinking about this. They were arguing that Zercher squats and lunges are good for BJJ people because it engages the lats, arms, and core in a way that's beneficial for the clench and grappling, and that a regular squat doesn't provide these benefits. They weren't arguing for the Zercher instead of conventional squats, just as a supplemental lift. But you really can't do a lot of weight with a Zercher, so I wonder just how beneficial it is in terms of energy and time spent versus potential gains.

Zarcher squats is cancer. Just my opinion.