starting strength gym

Thread: Quarantine Program Question - Deadlifts

Default Quarantine Program Question - Deadlifts

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I need some advice on programming a deadlift variation or substitute in the short term. I have a basement gym in an undeveloped basement but that needed to move when we finished it to give kids more room to roam. No problem, there’s a decent little local powerlifting gym near me and I’m building a garage that will have a sweet gym space in it that will be finished by the summer. I was working through a LP due to injury lay-off when this whole bullshit popped up and closed my gym. The uptick is I’m working from home now with no options to escape. And hey I still have all the equipment and the snow is starting to leave so I’m setting my rack up on my deck. I’m not worried about anything other than the deadlift/clean. I built my deck and am sure it’s sound but dropping a lot of weight on it doesn’t seem like a good idea.

So, any thoughts from the void about what I could fill that deadlift slot with for the short term? I was thinking Romanian deadlifts since there wouldn’t be the impact (walking it in and out of the rack) but I’m not sure of a rep and set scheme. Or is it even worth it, for these few months? That time could be filled with silly bullshit easy enough.

Get some horse stall mats if you can. I am in a similar situation as you, my issue isn't surface but rather lack of weights. I only have 400 pounds, so deadlifting heavy is out the window. I have just upped my pulling frequency. I pull in some fashion 3 days a week. Mondays I RDL for a 3*8 starting weight was 315, Wednesdays I do deadlifts from a 3 inch or so deficit with the full 400 pounds - just been adding volume because I can't add weight, and Fridays I do snatch grip deadlifts for a 3*3, started with 315. So, if I were you, I would still perform pulls but with more volume than just one heavy set of 5 per week. An RDL would probably work, that is if you can't get some horse stall mats so you can deadlift.

Yeah I have horse stall mats, but the feedback I’ve got from the wife and kids is it feels like the house is going to cave in so I stopped. I ended up going with 3 sets of 5 considering the weight is lighter enough than standard deadlifts that I won’t burn out with that much. Time will tell, when the weight gets higher if I feel like hammered shit I’ll knock it down to 2 sets or 1 set.

Have you considered learning to control the eccentric phase of the deadlift?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    Have you considered learning to control the eccentric phase of the deadlift?
    If you can “control” the eccentric phase of the deadlift to the point where it makes no sound/vibration then it’s highly likely you aren’t deadlifting the amount you should be lifting. I don’t drop the bar at the top, but if you’re deadlifting correctly it’s going to make noise/vibration. Review any of the videos with Rip or any of the other coaches and show me otherwise please.

There's a big difference between no sound/vibration and caving the house in. Having said that, yeah I'm about 80lbs below my last PR from two months ago because I had a three week layoff *before* all this nonsense started, with a week back in the gym before they closed. I'm also lifting in a second floor walkup apartment, so I don't have a choice in the matter.

starting strength coach development program
    You can make yourself or buy some crash pads.