starting strength gym

Thread: variations for an intermediate

Default variations for an intermediate

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Is it important for an intermediate to include variants in their programming?

Do you feel that they improve technique in the big 4 or detract from them?

The reason im asking is bc i have chains and am looking for an excuse to use them

thanks,

cole

As far as I know chains, bands etc. are usefull for competitors who lift in bench/squat siut. Maybe also for some elite/advanced raw lifters to overcome a specific weeknes.

So in my opinion that is not the most effective way of training but it could be fun.

Depends on the person. Have you identified weak points in the lifts yet? If it satisfies your psychological need for variety and while training the movements I don't see a problem with it.

I agree with Santana. If you're really feeling the itch then do it, otherwise from personal experience if you start adding exercises for the sake of doing more then you'll crash quick if you don't know what you're doing. If you just enjoy variations, I'd add them on the lighter day. For instance, when I did 3-day TM I would do pause squats, paused bench, and strict presses on my recovery days since these were relatively light weights compared to VD or ID.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    I agree with Santana. If you're really feeling the itch then do it, otherwise from personal experience if you start adding exercises for the sake of doing more then you'll crash quick if you don't know what you're doing. If you just enjoy variations, I'd add them on the lighter day. For instance, when I did 3-day TM I would do pause squats, paused bench, and strict presses on my recovery days since these were relatively light weights compared to VD or ID.
    Do you happen to do this with an eye patch on?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Do you happen to do this with an eye patch on?
    Not now, I'm too tired. Maybe later.

Ah. I'm sure barbell training has improved your car surfing abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Depends on the person. Have you identified weak points in the lifts yet? If it satisfies your psychological need for variety and while training the movements I don't see a problem with it.
    i think im strong all around for a 36 yr old busy dad, but my thinking was that if i introduce variants is that going to introduce "form creep" ? if you want to get really good at something, the more you practice the better, so should i just be doing the standard lifts 3x/wk for more practice?

If you haven't identified weak points then stay with the main lifts until you do. Or you can use variants to undulate and keep your mind interested if you are one of those types. Just pick ones that focus on the part of the lift you hate the most. I don't think they will cause form creep rather they will prevent if if performed correctly.

starting strength coach development program
    I'll fully agree with what Santana is saying. There's no reason to use a variant unless you know exactly which area you are trying to target. Example, is it harder to control the bar as it reaches your chest? If so, incorporating SPOTOS can be really good. I've recognized that my triceps are the weakest part of my bench and therefore I'm incorporating CG benching into my program.

In general, if one's doing them right, the main lifts do seem to be more than enough to adequately train. I haven't done a leg variant in 6 months. Asides from some occasional belt-less high-bar squatting if I feel like torturing myself at the end of the week.

Unfortunately, I didn't use proper form with my deadlift when I first got into training for strength and hitching became a common movement for me. This eventually caused my hips to become a weak link in the movement and made me plateau. I dropped weight to work on form and picked up doing RDLs in the beginning of the week.

Good luck with the training guy!