starting strength gym

Thread: Incline Bench vs LTE

Default Incline Bench vs LTE

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Which would be a better accessory lift for bench/OHP, the incline bench or the LTE (assuming no joint or movement issues)? I am inclined (ha) to believe it would be the incline bench, being the literal in-between movement for each of them, but then it might just be superfluous if you're already doing bench/OHP anyways. During LTEs I can seriously feel the bottom portion of my triceps which I feel would be crucial for lockout, but it seems like it would be working less overall mass than the incline press would.

You can "feel" the bottom part because of the leverage on the elbow, not because this part of muscle work harder.

Incline bench can be usefull as a light bench day or when you have problem with regular bench. Or it could be good idea to use it as "mass building" componet if you want it.

A few sets of LTE can be used anyday. It is not "big lift" so it is easy to recover from.

If you want more bodybuilding approach in your training it would be a good idea to use them both.

I'm more focused on strength than mass with the 4-day Texas Method, so for the pressing days it's:

5RM Bench/OHP
    5x5 OHP/Bench
    3-5x10 Dips/Incline Bench or LTE

No problems with regular bench.

I’d say dips are better than both for assistance work. Heavier and all

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    I’d say dips are better than both for assistance work. Heavier and all
    So just double down on dips instead? Perhaps alternate between weighted 3x5 and bodyweight 5x10?

starting strength coach development program
    If you want assistance yes. I've recently found that paused pin bench presses at half the ROM to work extremely well to get through the sticking point.