starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions about program switch (urgent!)

Post Questions about program switch (urgent!)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello and first of all thanks for this epic forum,

I have been running Starting Strength for the past 3 months but have been training about 8 months before that as well. I have always had problems increasing my strength but decided to give SS a try. So far I have had pretty "good" results but only on my squat and on my overhead press.

Squat 210 lbs > 265 lbs (5 RM)
    OH 100 lbs > 108 lbs (5 RM)

The rest of the lifts (deadlifts, bench, and clean) I have barely increased in strength at all. I think this might have to do with a lack of volume. As of today, my 5 RM for deadlift is 320 lbs, 175 lbs for bench press and 3RM for power clean 145 lbs. I would still consider myself pretty weak considering how long I have been training. I began micro loading on both bench and OH pretty early as I knew that I would have to challenge with these weights. After recently switching to phase 3, after continuously failed reps on both squats, overhead press and bench press, where chin-ups and back extensions are introduced I have had the thoughts of switching to another program. Today I for the first time tried Madcow 5x5 (which I believe is a natural bridge from SS) where weekly increases are occurring rather than daily. However, I am not sure if this is too early for me to switch program and need your help ASAP. I want to gain strength as quickly as possible and am not sure which way to go.

For your reference I think my stats are:
    Male 18
    Height: 5'10
    Weight: 176 lbs

My diet has been good with enough protein and calories to maintain (and perhaps gain a lil bit) weight and 8+ hours of sleep. I am now working from home which means more recovery and fewer activities during the day.
    Thanks in advance.

Hello Rippetoe. Thanks for answering. Yes I have read those articles. I have tried several times upping my intake and gaining weight but for me that doesn't make much sense of the difficulty of increasing the weights. My body fat is in the "good" interval where strength and power is higher (I am not fat but not lean either). When I begin to eat even more I gain weight but my strength doesn't follow that progression. Now I pretty much maintain my weight or a slight increase in weight perhaps. I rest 6-10 minutes between my sets and reach my protein target. What would you do in my case? Try to follow the program exactly as written (phase 3/2?) and do small increasements? Thanks in advance!

What are your increasements now?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What are your increasements now?
    5 lbs for squats and deadlifts. 2.5 lbs for bench, overhead press and power cleans.

These are not "pretty good" results, as the clarification article points out. Read it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    These are not "pretty good" results, as the clarification article points out. Read it again.
    Yes I have both read and listened to it. I find it useful and from what I can see I think it is my dieting that is lacking. I need to gain weight in order to increase my lifts. Correctly, sir?

Quote Originally Posted by Vikingen View Post
    Hello Rippetoe. Thanks for answering. Yes I have read those articles. I have tried several times upping my intake and gaining weight but for me that doesn't make much sense of the difficulty of increasing the weights. My body fat is in the "good" interval where strength and power is higher (I am not fat but not lean either). When I begin to eat even more I gain weight but my strength doesn't follow that progression. Now I pretty much maintain my weight or a slight increase in weight perhaps. I rest 6-10 minutes between my sets and reach my protein target. What would you do in my case? Try to follow the program exactly as written (phase 3/2?) and do small increasements? Thanks in advance!
    How long did you eat more, and how much weight did you gain? And what was your weight when you started? At 5'10"/176lbs you have a lot of potential for growth.

Are you eating enough carbohydrates? There’s a drastic difference I feel when I’m not eating enough carbs, or lifting fasted, although I know some people say fasted is fine. I know bob Santana tells people in the nutrition forum to keep them high as long as you can

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    How long did you eat more, and how much weight did you gain? And what was your weight when you started? At 5'10"/176lbs you have a lot of potential for growth.
    I tried to eat more for a couple of weeks, and did not gain a lot. I don't weight myself since I have had problems with eating disorders before, but from my appearance I can tell that it wasn't very much. I might try to gain some weight this time and see how my lifts are progressing, just to test it out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast