starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to train for the following event:

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So your suggestion is I should stop the LP?
    I only have around two months before I will be an intermediate. And I don't know if I could both run and grind out those heavy sets at the end of the LP. what do you think is the right approach?

Quote Originally Posted by yamshiloh View Post
    I only have around two months before I will be an intermediate.
    How do you know that?

At this point it sounds like you are primarily a runner. The switch from LP to intermediate programming happens when you can no longer recover and make progress each workout. Programming changes from daily to weekly progress. Because of your running this will happen sooner then it would otherwise. Your ability to recover will become a limiting factor. Still I would not quit lifting. Why not try a Heavy/Light routine. It's twice a week with only 1 heavy session. Running can be done on off days but not before heavy day. You will have to play with it but this should allow for adequate recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by yamshiloh View Post
    So your suggestion is I should stop the LP?
    I only have around two months before I will be an intermediate. And I don't know if I could both run and grind out those heavy sets at the end of the LP. what do you think is the right approach?
    I’m gonna throw an idea out there that will probably get shot down quickly, but just for the sake of it I’m gonna say it. Maybe you should switch to a hlm routine because they are much easier than the nlp. But it sounds like you are going for such a specialized skill that even that might be too much. I’m curious what rip and others say

I know this is going to add to the confusion and I expect some pushback, but I would train both sports as if there are equally important. To be clear, the training won't be optimal for either, but it is quite possible that in seven months, the poster would be considerably faster and stronger and in great shape overall. Depending on how advanced he is in each area, it will take a while to adapt to dueling stresses on his recovery, but a dedicated 16 year old should be able to handle it.

I did this throughout high school and college and except when I did do something stupid, like pulling 5-plate deadlifts before practice, it worked fairly well. For dual meets or regular season games, I just trained normally. Once it got near the end of the season, I would reluctantly stop my lifting while tapering for my primary sport.

Since the running goal is ambitious and he is still in high school, he should ask either the cross country or track coach for a a training plan. He should also get feedback on form, just as he might do with lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Then he is a runner, not a lifter, and he needs to stop lifting more than once a week.
    hmmmm...maybe he shouldn't bother w/the event? so annoying that it is a "military qualifying event."

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonville View Post
    I’m gonna throw an idea out there that will probably get shot down quickly, but just for the sake of it I’m gonna say it. Maybe you should switch to a hlm routine because they are much easier than the nlp. But it sounds like you are going for such a specialized skill that even that might be too much. I’m curious what rip and others say
    as you imply, he may be a situational intermediate. Isn't HLM what Starr had his football players do?

NOT a programming expert here and not pretending to be one. But...I'm sure the track coach would have him doing no strength training, or just some some silly bullshit. maybe H/L/M. maybe HLM over a 9 day week? Maybe get a consult with Andy Baker?

Quote Originally Posted by muntz View Post
    hmmmm...maybe he shouldn't bother w/the event? so annoying that it is a "military qualifying event."

as you imply, he may be a situational intermediate. Isn't HLM what Starr had his football players do?

NOT a programming expert here and not pretending to be one. But...I'm sure the track coach would have him doing no strength training, or just some some silly bullshit. maybe H/L/M. maybe HLM over a 9 day week? Maybe get a consult with Andy Baker?
    Yup, but in PPST it sounds like it was that way more out of convenience of handing such a large number of college kids who aren’t overly dedicated lifters.

This topic did get me to read the advanced section of PPST for the first time and it is very interesting. These pyramid and two forward one back programs appear at first glance similar to a lot of programs I see people doing today. I also don’t think I’ve come across anyone talking about them on the forum, usually it’s tm, hlm, or 5/3/1. One last ditch piece of input, maybe do the pyramid program?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Then he is a runner, not a lifter, and he needs to stop lifting more than once a week.
    Let's come back to this. If he is going to train for a no bullshit run then he won't be able to run LP in its parent form but he should still perform the movements once per week to preserve what he has.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12