starting strength gym

Thread: APFT is BACK- how to maintain strength gains when I have to run- a lot

JD Thomason is offline Owner, Starting Strength Colorado Springs

Default APFT is BACK- how to maintain strength gains when I have to run- a lot

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Regards-

I am an intermediate using texas method from PPST, I have worked up to some decent weights:
    Squat: 1x5x425
    DL: 1x5x425
    Bench: 1x5x305
    Press: 1x5x210
    PC: 1x5x205

unfortunately, Covid-19 has delayed implementation of the new ACFT, so it is an APFT for me- I will have to log some significant mileage to get my run up to snuff. What can I do to maintain my squat/DL gains when I have to run my butt off for the next 30-40 days?

thanks for your inputs.

PS: the APFT is dumb

Quote Originally Posted by ranger_99 View Post
    Regards-

I am an intermediate using texas method from PPST, I have worked up to some decent weights:
    Squat: 1x5x425
    DL: 1x5x425
    Bench: 1x5x305
    Press: 1x5x210
    PC: 1x5x205

unfortunately, Covid-19 has delayed implementation of the new ACFT, so it is an APFT for me- I will have to log some significant mileage to get my run up to snuff. What can I do to maintain my squat/DL gains when I have to run my butt off for the next 30-40 days?

thanks for your inputs.

PS: the APFT is dumb
    Dumb indeed. Try squatting twice per week vs three times, with one heavy day and one light day. I wouldn't necessarily change your deadlift sets and reps but you may not be able to set new PRs. I'd stick to your 1 x 5, see how that works, if you are too banged up then alternate with rack pulls. Deadlifts are generally more easily managed than squats while running. You'll have to tinker with it and see what happens but three total squat days, with two of them being heavy, carries a higher risk of injury, which it sounds like you have figured out.

JD Thomason is offline Owner, Starting Strength Colorado Springs

appreciate the feedback! I can handle going down 15-20 lbs, I just don't want to wipe out too much work! My neighbor hasn't squatted since we got locked down, so he ran every day- and he has now lost 75 lbs plus from his back squat!!

Thank you-
    JD

Sad story indeed. Thankfully you are still training.