starting strength gym

Thread: Volume Stalling, Intensity Still Going

Default Volume Stalling, Intensity Still Going

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This last week I had a stall with my volume 5x5 bench press. I got the first 1x5 down, but my following sets were only 3x4 and 1x3. My intensity set for bench still went up no issue (247.5x5), but on the volume sets (90% of 5RM) I pooped out.

I took 10 minutes rest between each set, and my sleep and calorie/protein intake is consistent and better than ever thanks to being stuck at home with a home gym. Do I need to reduce the % of my volume sets?

How many pounds did you jump up from the last successful workout?

For my volume sets, it went up from 220 to 225 lbs. The previous week I got 220x5x5 with some struggle.

For intensity sets, I have been doing micro jumps with 2.5 lbs for bench and OHP.

Well, you fucked up. Small jumps on all pressing is the rule halfway through the NLP.

I see, so I'm not supposed to do micro jumps on an intermediate program like Texas Method then? Should I just repeat the volume set at the same weight next time and press onward with 5 lbs jumps instead?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Bynon View Post
    I see, so I'm not supposed to do micro jumps on an intermediate program like Texas Method then? Should I just repeat the volume set at the same weight next time and press onward with 5 lbs jumps instead?
    What he's saying is from now on you'll need to use micro jumps on your bench and press. If you have 1-1/4lb plates, use 2.5lb jumps each week on both. In my case, I have all 1/2lb micros so I jump 3lb/week on bench and 2lb/week on presses. It's worked for several months for me. Do the same on your VD and ID with that scheme. If you're microloading and still get stuck on VD, then you'll probably need to just reset your VD from maybe 90% of ID to 85% of ID and go from there.