starting strength gym

Thread: Is doing all the lifts every lifting day good for novices? (for me)

Default Is doing all the lifts every lifting day good for novices? (for me)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Before I encountered SS3 and PPST3 I was doing my own made up program. In light of my house arrest I have been reading books and improving it.

Here is my program with current weights:
    M/W/F:
    Squat 295x5x2
    Bench 225x5x3
    Dead 355x5x1
    Press 112.5x5x3 (just recently fixed my form)
    Row 212.5x5x3
    Bench Stretched Tricep Extension 90x5x3
    I also work on conditioning and my strict curl a couple times per week on my off days.

This has been working very well for me ever since I bought some fractional plates. I am able to add a little weight to every lift 3 times per week, which results in excellent weekly progress. Why doesn't SS take this approach? And especially, why doesn't SS bench and press on the same day? I just finished the novice chapter in PPST3 and I didn't see any mention of this style of full body training, or any explanation for the programming strategy with regards to bench and press.

You can do a whole lot of things when everything is light. Are all of these lifts PRs (other than the press)?

Yeah they're all 5 rep PRs (except for the press), though I've gotten a few 1 rep PRs above those, when I do actually do them.

Try it til you can't and then default to the program as written when you cannot sustain it.

Makes sense to me coach, thanks for the replies.

starting strength coach development program
    I actually didn't make it too far, but since what happened was quite interesting, I thought I'd share my experience. In the past, when I was overtrained, I would just crash for a day or two, sleep a lot, dial my volume in, and get back to it. But what happened this time was different. As my volume was dialed in quite well to what my work capacity could handle, I did not fail in this way. Instead what happened is that I couldn't keep up with eating the amount of food that was required to facilitate growth at that speed. I was eating a lot of food, well over 6000 kcal per day (was not counting). Eventually my sense of hunger and thirst stopped working right, and after a couple weeks I had painful movement in my gut. It took about 48 hours of lighter eating to recover from this. Now I think you could make the argument that I could have ingested more easy to digest foods (rice and juice, for example) in order to meet my calorie requirements, but the problem is that I simply got tired of eating and did not want to do it.

So while it may be possible for me to stretch my program out longer, I've decided that for the time being I'd like to have my normal gut back, and I've started the best version of SS that I can handle doing in my homegym without a coach. I've built up apparently a rather high work tolerance, so on my second conditioning day I'm doing a little bit of heavier work, but this decrease in volume should be more than enough to get me progressing steadily.