starting strength gym

Thread: Texas Method for the Long Haul?

Default Texas Method for the Long Haul?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Wanted to get some opinions on a few modifications for the Texas Method to make it a long lasting progression.

I've read PPSTv3 front to back and have implemented many of the ideas by the book and some based on the information presented. The Texas Method is one of the best intermediate programs if you want results on the core lifts to progress. I understand the original Texas method runs in phases as well (I have done phase I and phase II, "running it out"), but this part of the book doesn't address the variations of the 4-day split versions with as much detail and they're presented in more of a specific context (powerlifters, power sports, etc).

I want to incorporate a few ideas I have read about from Jordan Feigenbaum and Andy Baker regarding set/rep schemes and at what intensities so you don't burn out too quick. Also, from the Soviet weightlifting days they emphasized that a lift shouldn't be pushed over a 90% of 1RM intensity for more than 2 of every 4 weeks as a rule of thumb (Aleksey Medvedev); I understand this is empirical data, but it's good information to know and you can tell from phase III of the TM that Rippetoe and Andy understand the importance of cycling to prevent burnout. Even though the Soviet information was mainly for Advanced weightlifters, I believe the information holds true for a true-blue intermediate as well.

The program I have looks like this:
    Monday
    Press 5x5 @80% of 1RM (reset as needed)
    Bench 3x8 @65% of 1RM (reset as needed)
    BW Chins 3x10
    (alternate Press/Bench weekly)

Tuesday
    Squat 5x5 @80% of 1RM (reset as needed)
    SLDL 3x5 @ 70-75% of 1RM DL

Thursday
    Press 1x5 @5RM, run out through Phase II and III
    Bench 3x3 @85-88% of 1RM
    Weighted Chins 3 sets of 7/6/5 each
    (alternate Press/Bench weekly)

Friday
    Squat 1x5 @5RM, run out through Phase II and III
    DL 1x5 @5RM, run out through Phase II and III

After running these 3 phases out, an addition that would need to eventually happen is alternating the deadlifts every other week instead of maxing them weekly. Instead, I would RDL/Deadlift each Friday for my pull.
    Pulls will look like this:
    Week 1: SLDL/Deadlift 3RM
    Week 2: SLDL/RDL
    Week 3: SLDL/Deadlift 2RM
    Week 4: SLDL/RDL
    Week 5: SLDL/Deadlift 1RM
    Week 6: SLDL/RDL
    Week 7: SLDL/Deadlift 3RM and so forth

Some notes:
    This program is essentially the 4-Day TM from pg. 151-152 with some slight variations from Feigenbaum's 4-day split and different intensities than what is listed. The pressing intensities are slightly higher as a personal preference since I find 90% of ID for a 5x5 bench or press to be easier than a 90% of intensity day for a 5x5 squat.

The ID deadlift will need to be alternated later on since cycling 3-1RMs is essentially staying in the 90% range weekly. The body will need a break from pulling maximal weights so much on something as taxing as DLs. I don't think this is as necessary for the squat however since this is by nature less stressful on the body (as explained by Rippetoe in Starting Strength). The Bench and Press naturally will avoid this since every other week 1 will be emphasized and the other will be in the 3x3 range at 85%, just under that 90% range. The reasoning for the secondary pressing movement on Mondays and Thursdays is to grease the groove mainly. The upper body needs more volume than the lower body to progress well and the secondary movement is more geared toward the "light" to "medium" relative intensity range (from the chart on pg. 111 of PPSTv3). This will help with the brain becoming dumb to the movement (doing 1, 3x5/week that the lift isn't emphasized on 3-day or basic 4-day TM).

The reason I chose the 2nd, 4-day split variation is the point made that systemic stress is typically better to be lumped together at the beginning of the week rather than having an intensity press followed by a volume bench for example. As personal preference too, I prefer doing all volume or all intensity in 1 day.

All in all I don't claim to have a genius program, but I wanted to make something I think would fit my goals of progressing the 4 core lifts. Feel free to use this and/or let me know your thoughts of what might look good or bad.

Personal Info:
    5' 11" M @ 200lb, ~18-20%bf, ~3500kcal/day
    End of 3-Day TM Results
    Squat: 3 singles @415
    Press: 5RM @143
    Bench: 5RM @215
    Deadlift: 5Rm @415
    Obviously I want to start emphasizing the press and bench for a reason

All of this seems reasonable. Just remember that PPST is not presenting templates to use, but examples to illustrate the concepts. When trainees get to this stage of training as you are, a great deal of individualization will be needed. You will just have to see how you respond to each of the permutations and adjust if things aren't working well. For example, many people will get burned out by having all the upper body volume work on the same day, while others will not.

Thanks for the insight. I understand what works for one may not work for another, but I really just wanted to make something and see if anyone wanted to try or critique my self-specific TM split. Original TM was great for me on squats and deadlifts, but I don't think it's a secret your upper body needs more volume to grow; the trick I'm trying to do is finding where the minimum effective dose is at on them.