starting strength gym

Thread: Extending the One Lift Per Day programme

Default Extending the One Lift Per Day programme

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Background: I did SS with GOMAD for the first time over 10 years ago (I used to post on this forum but forgot username). Since I played other sports I couldn't continue weight training full time, so I would just do the basic SS lifts with some assistance once or twice a week.

A few years later I decided to finally read PPST and found the ideal programme for me - the "One Lift Per Day" routine. This lets you focus on one exercise each session so you have time for training in another sport. In the book it is outlined like this:

A: Bench Day + Assistance (shoulders and triceps)
    B: Squat Day + Assistance (hamstrings and back)
    C: Press Day + Assistance (chest and tricep)
    D: Light Squat + Deadlifts + Assistance (back)

And a sample routine is given:

A: Bench + DB press and STE
    B: Squat + RDL and pull up
    C: Press + dips and LTE
    D: Deadlift + squat and rows

Lifts in bold are done in 5x5/5x3/5x1 (except deadlifts, which are 5/3/1RM) and the assistance can be done in a variety of set and rep ranges (e.g. 4x8 or 3x15). This program is pretty versatile as you can see, and now that I am no longer training my other sport full time, I would like to extend this programme to add more assistance each session.

So my question is, if you could add a third exercise to each day, how would you modify this program? What are some important exercises missing from the sample routine would be a good idea to include?

If you now have the time to add a lift to the sample routine given above, and are able to still train 4 days, you might as well just switch to a traditional 4 day split:

A: Bench+Press Accessory
    B: Squat+Deadlift
    C: Press+Bench+Accessory
    D: Squat+ Deadlift

On day A the Bench would be lower volume and the Press higher volume. Then on day C you flip them. Ideally you would have a rest day in between B and C.

Hey man thanks for your suggestion. I did some research and ended up on Andy Baker's (SS coach) programme, which incidentally is a combination of the two programs above, i.e. the normal 4 day TM with the assistance work described in the OP.

Adding Assistance Work to The Four Day Texas Method - Andy Baker

So I'm going to give this a go.

My favorite way to approach a minimalistic program is to couple the bench press with the squat and the press with the deadlift. This way I can superset and get the heavy stuff done in ~45 minutes. I don't like coupling the squats and deadlifts unless I'm peaking for a test day or meet because you end up in the gym much longer. Why are you approaching your training this way exactly?

Hey Robert thanks for the input. I've watched a lot of your videos by the way.

My approach is like this for purely practical purposes - I couldn't commit to very long sessions, and on some of the days I trained I was also doing other physical activity. So the idea was to focus on one lift each session, then do a couple of assistance exercises. This worked very well and I didn't find it too taxing. You do some squats, then deadlift assistance, then a third accessory. Next time you do some benches, some press assistance, and your third accessory. Usually I could fit the whole session in about an hour, and it ensures that you hit both your main lift and adequate assistance.

When I made this thread I was looking for more assistance to add at the end of the session, but I was recommended to just do the main program, which I have time do now. But if I ever do go back to a minimalist program I'd be interested in hearing alternatives.

starting strength coach development program
    Hope the videos were useful for ya. The assistance depends on the priorities. I don't like squatting and deadlifting in the same day because it takes longer to complete. As I said above, I prefer to pair one of each with a pressing motion or two or chins. Arm work works too if you care for that stuff