starting strength gym

Thread: Where to pick back up after a two week break?

Default Where to pick back up after a two week break?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Novice lifter here, early 40s. I am (I hope) 2 days away from ending an unplanned 2-week separation from my workout equipment. Where should I pick back up with my work sets -- should I start back in as if there was no break at all? Repeat my last numbers? Back it up a session or two?

I had had 3 months of uninterrupted linear progression. I wasn't at any major sticking points and seemed to have found a decent rhythm. My last work set weights were:
    • squats 215 lbs
    • overhead press 100 lbs
    • bench press 152.5 lbs
    • deadlift 310 lbs

I've managed to get at least 1hr/day of moderate-to-heavy cardio in during this break, my diet hasn't changed, and my body weight is exactly the same.

Thanks for the help!

A two week break is likely too long a break to just pick up where you left off. What has worked well for my athletes is dropping their previous work set numbers down by about 75-80% and starting them with a week of ramping sets of 5 ending with that 75-80% number. I will then move them to 3x5s with slightly bigger jumps each training session to get them back to their old work weights. Jumps will have to be done by feel based on how the lifts look, though.

Thanks!