starting strength gym

Thread: Extreme body imbalance

Default Extreme body imbalance

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm male, in my 40s. Lived sedentary all my life. Seeking advice on how to fix my body imbalance. Left side from Arm to toe is very weak. Not sure what the weakest point is but I feel my left abs and back burden a lot of the glute and leg deficiencies. My left body shakes so bad if I do planks for example, and I find myself subconsciously rotating to the right to do even simple movements like opening a heavy door or pulling something.

I know the general advice of "use unilateral exercises" etc, but I'm looking for some concrete suggestions, simple programming, or a good resource.

Thank you!

What type of strength training have you done thus far in your life and how recently? Have you completed a novice linear progression as outlined in the blue book?

Quote Originally Posted by meshka7 View Post
    I'm male, in my 40s. Lived sedentary all my life. Seeking advice on how to fix my body imbalance. Left side from Arm to toe is very weak. Not sure what the weakest point is but I feel my left abs and back burden a lot of the glute and leg deficiencies. My left body shakes so bad if I do planks for example, and I find myself subconsciously rotating to the right to do even simple movements like opening a heavy door or pulling something.

I know the general advice of "use unilateral exercises" etc, but I'm looking for some concrete suggestions, simple programming, or a good resource.

Thank you!
    I would not worry about this until you've got some training under your belt. Your entire body is weak, start getting it stronger and the imbalances should sort themselves out as you go through the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden-William Courtland View Post
    What type of strength training have you done thus far in your life and how recently? Have you completed a novice linear progression as outlined in the blue book?
    I tried the novice linear progression on and off but I usually got injured pretty quick and stopped. Last time probably more than 5 years ago. Other than this, I'm on some sort of body weight beginner exercise, but some of the movements cause my back to hurt because of the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    I would not worry about this until you've got some training under your belt. Your entire body is weak, start getting it stronger and the imbalances should sort themselves out as you go through the process.
    I'm a little afraid of bad form and unconscious muscle compensation. For example, I noticed that I rotate a lot during movements and can't always easily spot it. I also found that I overwork the left side of my neck which can cause me headaches sometimes. I also found that I get different outcomes depending on whether I try to focus on my legs, or glutes, or abs.

Most likely if you were doing the NLP and not able to progress without constant injury, one or more of your nutrition, programming, and technique were off. Sounds like you need some coaching or at least regular form checks to clean things up and pinpoint the issues.

Quote Originally Posted by meshka7 View Post
    I'm a little afraid of bad form and unconscious muscle compensation. For example, I noticed that I rotate a lot during movements and can't always easily spot it. I also found that I overwork the left side of my neck which can cause me headaches sometimes. I also found that I get different outcomes depending on whether I try to focus on my legs, or glutes, or abs.
    Sounds like you may be overthinking this. Have you seen a coach?

Get a Coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Sounds like you may be overthinking this. Have you seen a coach?
    Thanks. I haven't. I guess I'll need to.

starting strength coach development program
    It would be a good place to start. If you can't find a local one, I'm happy to help.