starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overhead press instead of bench press

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    If you lean backwards on a push press then the seated press will help clean much of the excessive layback up. You can do pins if you need to overload.
    Thanks a lot Robert, I'll consider your advice.

If you lean backwards on a push press then the seated press will help clean much of the excessive layback up. You can do pins if you need to overload.
    Do you use a bench that has a back when doing your seated press?

Absolutely not. I do push my feet into the uprights to maximize stability though. With the right shoes I don't need to do this but it's the most consistent way that I've found to work.

Absolutely not. I do push my feet into the uprights to maximize stability though. With the right shoes I don't need to do this but it's the most consistent way that I've found to work.
    Coach, but isn't normal to some extent to lean back a little bit on heavier presses?

starting strength coach development program
    It's normal but and in strengthlifting more can be better from a competitive standpoint. However, if your goal is general strength and conditioning, I don't know that bending back beyond a "standing incline bench press" is necessary or healthy for longevity. I want to clarify that some people bend back just fine and experience no pain but i've had multiple lifters complain of low back pain and sciatica because of it and the seated press helped reduce the degree of layback on the standing press to the point where they no longer experienced these symptoms.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12