starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overhead press instead of bench press

Default Overhead press instead of bench press

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So I've been doing SS for awhile however, I have hated BP for a very long time, I dont get anything from it, in matter of fact I get more out of overhead press.

So my question is, can I replace bench press with overhead press instead as my pressing movement?

Has anyone else done this?

I would be curious to know what your training progression for the BP has been and why you aren't getting anything out of it. Sounds like a programming issue, rather than an inherent issue with the BP. After all, one can lift quite a lot of weight with the BP, more than the Press.

In the grey book there are intermediate routines with an emphasis on the press, but they still have you doing some benching. Do whatever you want, I hate the bench too, but you’re not getting as much out of your training if you leave it out only because you don’t like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden-William Courtland View Post
    I would be curious to know what your training progression for the BP has been and why you aren't getting anything out of it. Sounds like a programming issue, rather than an inherent issue with the BP. After all, one can lift quite a lot of weight with the BP, more than the Press.
    Hello I've been doing SS however I hate horizontal presses to be honest I love overhead press that's why I'm asking

Why exactly do you hate the bench press?

I rarely bench press these days but I've also bench pressed, at some capacity, for 22 years. I think my frequency is down to 1 day per week with some weeks stretching to more like 10 days. Press has gotten stronger than it ever has training it consistently twice per week. So I think you'll do just fine depending on how you plan it. I'm a fan of performing seated press one day and standing press one day, then subbing out the seated for pin presses during a peaking phase.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    I rarely bench press these days but I've also bench pressed, at some capacity, for 22 years. I think my frequency is down to 1 day per week with some weeks stretching to more like 10 days. Press has gotten stronger than it ever has training it consistently twice per week. So I think you'll do just fine depending on how you plan it. I'm a fan of performing seated press one day and standing press one day, then subbing out the seated for pin presses during a peaking phase.
    What type of rep range do you usually use for the seated press? Do you use that as your volume and standing for intensity?

I typically start out with 8s on the seated and 5s on the standing. Then taper it down with added intensity.

My main focus is Olympic WL and I do not have a bench. So I replace Bench with Push Press.

So what I do is:

A-Squat/Push Press/Deadlift
    B-Squat/OHP/Clean Pull

On the Push Press I naturally lean a little bit backwards, and the weight is higher than OHP. It's not a BP, but I think it's a nice replacement.

starting strength coach development program
    If you lean backwards on a push press then the seated press will help clean much of the excessive layback up. You can do pins if you need to overload.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast