starting strength gym

Thread: Back after a long layoff, need advice on how to include power cleans

Default Back after a long layoff, need advice on how to include power cleans

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello guys,

I have a question about how to proceed after starting the program by not following the program. First a quick intro about me.

I am a 38 years old male with some training experience. I started when I was about 28 years and trained with a random program until I read the SS book after about two years of training. Then I started to do the deadlift, bench, squat, row and press and liked it a lot. I probably jumped to the intermediate (Texas method) too early, loosing a lot of the linear progress, but that is history now. I did a lot of training with 5x5 on Mondays and 1x5 on Fridays. Eventually I ended up with an RPE based program. At the age of 33 with both kids and a house to rebuild I stopped training.

Now after 5 years with very little strength training I have motivation and time to train. Seven weeks ago I started on the novice ABA-BAB routine with squatting three times a week. I have the first edition of the PPST book but after reading on this forum I found that there was a newer version so I ordered that and got it yesterday. After reading it I realize that I am not following the program, that means I have been replacing the power clean with barbell row and also I did not do deadlift at every workout as shown on the very first novice template on page 88 of PPST3. It has been looking like this:

A: 3x5 Squat, 3x5 Bench, 1x5 Deadlift.
    B: 3x5 Squat, 3x5 Press, 3x5 Barbell row.

I have decided to learn the power clean so I am wondering on how to make the transition. Lately the squat has been feeling very heavy and the deadlift even harder. I am just about as strong in the squat as the deadlift and I think this is related to lower back strength. I am not able to keep my lumbar in extension when doing heavy deadlift so I have to practice form and I wonder of back extension would be good to include.I have been looking at the suggested setups in PPST3, to include the power clean, but I am not sure which template to choose so that my deadlift can get stronger. And also I am wondering if this could be the time to add a light squat day. Not sure if this is relevant but my last lifts were: 3x5x300 on the squat, 1x5x305 on the deadlift, 3x5x190 on the bench and 3x5x105 on the press.

Thanks a lot for reading my post. I hope someone have some thoughts on this.

Stan

Stan:

Stop doing Barbell Rows and start doing Power Cleans. This is in the book.

Thanks Rip,

I practiced Power Cleans last week and will start doing them from today.
    How do I know if/when it is time to start doing light squats on Wednesdays? On the example of executed linear progression on page 90 in PPST3 the lifter starts with light squats after week 7 even though the squat progress has been steady linear.

Stan