starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 Days per Week Programming

Default 2 Days per Week Programming

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm 52, 5'9" 203lbs. Been doing 4 main lifts for about 8-9 years. 1 year post pec-tendon repair. I've been inconsistent and suffered setbacks over the years but right now I am fairly consistent.

On 3/15/20, after taking a month off because of a vacation and a lumbar tweak, I re-engaged with linear progression. When I got to the point that my press and bench stalled, I started consistently running a 4-day program that I derived from Dr Sullivan's book and have run it for the last 6 weeks. It has done great for my Press, Bench, and Squat which all feel strong every time I add weight. My Deadlift is approaching an all-time high but extremely hard relative to the other lifts.

Current Program
    Wed - Press 1x5 (+ 2lbs/week), Bench 5x5 at 85% of Saturday, CGBP 5x8 (+5lbs/week)
    Thu - Squat 5x5 at 85% of Sunday, Chinups
    Sat - Bench 1x5 (+ 5lbs/week), Press 5x5 at 85% of Wednesday, Dumbbell Tricep extension
    Sun - Squat 1x5 (+5lbs/week). DL 1x5 (+5lbs/week), Chinups

Current 1x5 Weights
    Press 140
    Bench 215
    Squat 315
    DL 430

Two questions

1) I missed my Deadlift this week. I got four strong ones and failed number 5 above the knee. I actually thought I was going to get it and then ran out of breath and lost tightness. I have amazed myself every week for the last 6 weeks by continuing to get all five reps after the previous week was so hard. This week, for the first time during this programming, I missed Sunday and did the workout Monday morning. I was not feeling my best and I think that contributed to the miss. I think I should keep going with the program and re-attempt 430x5. Do you agree?
    2) Due to Covid and that my wife and I can work from home, we rented a house in the country for the summer. I have not had luck finding a gym there but have a nice setup at home. I am committed to this program because it works and I really want to continue. If I cannot find a suitable gym, I am going to drive 1.5 hours each way to train at home. I think I can keep a Tuesday/Thursday lifting schedule. Would you please suggest a program that will allow me to continue to make gains or at least not lose? It will be for 8 weeks at 2x/week (Tues/Thurs).

I appreciate all suggestions.Thank you,
    Mike

1) Re-attempt it if you missed it because of a fluke (losing your breath). You'll likely get it next time.

2) See below

Day 1:

Squat 5 x 5
    Press: 5 x 5
    Bench Press Assistance: 3 x 5

Day 2:

Deadlift: 1 x 5
    Bench Press 5 x 5
    Press Assistance: 3 x 5

Then add some chins periodically throughout the week. Something to that effect should provide sufficient stress done twice per week. Expect to be sore though from the lack of frequency.

Thank you for the program and for the encouragement. The program sounds perfect.

You are very welcome. I'd also add that you should do the workouts 3 days apart.

How long can you realistically progress the squat with one 5x5 workout a week? Would you add weight each week?

Thanks.

What if I was limited to only Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday with my lifting? I could do Tuesday morning and Thursday evening to spread it out as far as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bryant View Post
    How long can you realistically progress the squat with one 5x5 workout a week? Would you add weight each week?
    Thanks.
    Try it and find out. I squat 3 x 5 once every 7-9 days and am hitting new PRs every other week.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mantzouris View Post
    What if I was limited to only Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday with my lifting? I could do Tuesday morning and Thursday evening to spread it out as far as possible.
    That would be fine. Ideally you'd like the extra day in between so that you don't have the long gap from Thursday-Tuesday but you have to make due with what you have and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    1) Re-attempt it if you missed it because of a fluke (losing your breath). You'll likely get it next time.
    Thank you for the advice. I got 430x5 on the deadlift yesterday. Number 5 was hard and slowed down above the knee but I stayed tight and finished it.

Good work. Now get 435 x 5 next.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    I squat 3 x 5 once every 7-9 days and am hitting new PRs every other week.
    Why do you do it this way? MED?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast