starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A 5th day for press and oly

Default A 5th day for press and oly

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Currently I'm working my way back after gym closures and am lifting 4x a week. I'm 28, male, 6'0 and 225lbs. Last weeks workouts:
    Day1:
    SN 97.5kg 8x1
    C&J 130kg 8x1

Day2:
    SQ 210kg 3x5
    PR 80kg 5x5
    Chins

Day3:
    SN 100kg 8x1
    C&J 132.5kg 8x1

Day4:
    SQ 220kg 3x5
    PR 85kg 1x5
    DL 250kg 1x5

I will transition back to the Oly/TM model from PP as it becomes necessary. Holding off on the day 3 max out and front squats for now. I would like to add in a 5th day to get some more olympic lifting practice, as well as hit the press again. How can I best structure this? I think ideally I would pin press but I don't have access to a tall enough rack.

Why do you want to add another press day? If these existing days are programmed appropriately that should give you a good stimulus for growth. Adding another oly day can be done the day after Day 4, you just need to be careful to make sure you are recovered for the next week's Day 1.

I listened to Nick talk about adding a 3rd day for something like pin presses here: Press and Bench Press Programming - Getting and Staying Unstuck | Nick Delgadillo.
    I thought it may be useful for me to get some more volume in, especially since I am not benching.

Right, but I would follow what he said before that part of the video and make sure you have run the 2 days out enough where there is then a need for adding more, especially since you are just getting back into things now anyway. If you eventually get to the point where you are having issues progressing due to a lack of stress, you could add the pins in on Day 3. I might then move the volume press to Day 1.

Thanks for your help. When the time does come -- do you recommend doing a seated pin press or a different variation given I'm too tall to press in the racks? I thought a push press might be a good replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by m s View Post
    Thanks for your help. When the time does come -- do you recommend doing a seated pin press or a different variation given I'm too tall to press in the racks? I thought a push press might be a good replacement.
    When you can no longer progress the press. A seated pin press won't be heavy enough to accomplish that which a standing pin press can accomplish: A Heavy Lockout. Does your rack allow for spotter arms on the outside? If so, purchase some. By the way, what is your goal exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    When you can no longer progress the press. A seated pin press won't be heavy enough to accomplish that which a standing pin press can accomplish: A Heavy Lockout.
    Doesn't a push press also accomplish that?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    By the way, what is your goal exactly?
    My long term goals are to clean and jerk 180kg and deadlift 317.5kg (700lbs). I also want to squat 250kg x 5, but I think I willl achieve that in the near future.

You can certainly lock out heavy weight with a push press, but the muscle contribution is vastly different. The legs do a massive amount of that work. It's much different than starting from a dead stop at about forehead height and locking out a bar with only your arms (pin press). If the DL is a goal as you say, you are most likely going to need to train it more than once a week, at least for certain periods of time. You might consider a strength focused block followed by an oly focused block.

Thanks for explaining. I think I can set it up like Santana suggested with outside spotter arms. As far as the deadlift goes, I've had good success pulling once a week, or less if I'm feeling fatigued. Before gyms closed I had been doing 1 set of 5 every 1-2 weeks with 2.5kg increments and reached 265kg x 5. I did, however, reset multiple times due to back and hamstring tweaks. I think for now I will try to just keep LPing a single weekly set, and hopefully gain some bodyweight -- I think Rip would tell me I need to be at least 240lbs at 6'. I'll keep your suggestion in mind if the weight stops going up smoothly.

starting strength coach development program
    Yes, indeed. You can keep going as you suggest. Just keep in the back of your mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast