starting strength gym

Thread: Regarding weighted pull up progression

Default Regarding weighted pull up progression

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello everyone,

I hope you are all doing well. I’m in New Jersey and I don’t think gyms will be opening up any time soon. I’m male, 28 years old, weighs about 145 lbs and 5 ft 5’’ tall.
    Ever since the gyms closed, I’ve focused on getting my weighted pull up to a respectable amount. From March 17th until now, it’s gone from +10 lbs to +50 lbs for 5 reps (3 sets). I do my pull ups in neutral grip fashion because that feels easier on my shoulders (My right shoulder is a little messed up and fragile). I count a full rep as one where my chin ends up over the bar.
    Over the past week or so, I’m noticing a significant amount of fatigue. I’ve increased rest periods to 10 minutes between each set. Still the last few reps feel like grinding. Do you think it’s the right time to switch to a different training method for pull ups? Maybe go for reverse pyramid style?

I would love to hear your thoughts on this.
    Thank you.

- Jeewantha Bandara

You're experiencing the effects of an assistance exercise being mistaken for a primary exercise.

Hi Rip!!! Thank you for the response. So may I ask what needs to be done? I don't have access to a gym. The weighted pull up has been my primary exercise over the past 2 and a half months simply because I don't have many other choices.
    I would like to keep progressing the weighted pull up in some way (if possible)