starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is 5 X 5 Method Best for Fat Loss? Other Tweaks?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by jklunder View Post
    Thanks, guys.

5. Does anyone have stories of trying so many things, then finally finding what worked? Maybe that can get me to get over discouragement.
    Maybe it's just me, but I find it amazing that someone who joined this board over ten years ago would ask this question. I promise you, jklunder, if you just do some searching on your own, you will find numerous such stories.

But what you really need to do is stop writing and train.

Does anyone have stories of trying so many things, then finally finding what worked? Maybe that can get me to get over discouragement.
    Everything that I explained to you I figured out through my own experience and have replicated it training others. Happy to work with you and walk you through the process but you're going to have to leave all of this conventional wisdom "hypertrophy" nonsense at the door. It hasn't and will not work for you. You have enough of your own data points to prove that.

Thanks, guys.

1. A lot of my problems are emotional. I am 35 years old. In the past, I tried too many conflicting things, and just have been discouraged.

When I worked so hard, for years, and sacrificed so much (in terms of never eating any delicious food, etc.), I never seemed to get more than average results.

A lot of it is my own discouragement, etc. from not just forgetting about past mistakes and really working hard and sacrificing again.

Heck, 15 years ago, on a strict diet of no sugar, saturated fat, alcohol, I got 2% bf on the three point caliper method, but still no six pack, etc.

When you work hard and sacrifice as much as I did, but still fell short, that did not feel good. Contrast that to some of my friends, who have physiques of Greek Gods, even without much effort.

2. For me, at 5'8", totally detrained, probably 30%+ bodyfat, etc. many things will work, simply because it forces my body to adapt.

I know, simply exercising more (once gyms reopen), keeping protein high, carbs and fats in moderation, and watching calories will produce results over time.

3. I do not mean to answer the same questions again and again. I guess I am just trying to find what works best, in a scientific way.

4. Rather than just outlining my thoughts, I do think discussion, etc. has a point.

While I almost never trust something that I see on Clickbank or TV, etc. I do think Beachbody's Insanity, and Rick Kasejl's "Unlock Your Hips" taught me something I did not know before, that is relevant and effective.

a. As soon as the gyms open, I will do the Rick Kasejl "Unlock Your Hips" before and during weight training.

b. For weight training, I will do SS, and add some burnouts and supersets to the final set. I simply believe that causes some more hypertrophy.

c. For diet, I like the low fat diet, I think that will do for now.

5. Does anyone have stories of trying so many things, then finally finding what worked? Maybe that can get me to get over discouragement.
    Man, you are trying to cook from many different recipes at once. If you really were 2% on the calipers, you should absolutely have abs visible. You probably used them incorrectly. But that aside, you can't lose weight and make big strength gains at the same time. You can't. You can't. You can't. YOU CAN'T. Not without pharmaceutical assistance. It sounds like you might have a bad case of body dysmorphia. You say you're over 30% bodyfat now but I'm not so sure, especially if you were so low you tested at 2% once. Unless you are highly obese, just do the NLP the right way man. Eat big. Eat right. Lift heavy.

starting strength coach development program
    Any bodyfat test of a human that shows 2% has produced a wildly inaccurate data point, and you should know this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123