starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is 5 X 5 Method Best for Fat Loss? Other Tweaks?

Default Is 5 X 5 Method Best for Fat Loss? Other Tweaks?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Mr. Rippetoe et. al.,

Gyms have been closed down for over six months in China.

I am trying to get back into shape, and completely detrained for about two years. I must be at around 30% bodyfat.

1. My goal is fat loss.

2. I am thinking of doing the StrongLifts.com 5x5.

I will do 5 X 5 Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, Chin-Ups.

3. In order to encourage mass development, I will do a machine super-set on the final set. For example, after the final set of squats, I will do leg extension; leg curl for deadlifts; machine for bench; and lat pull downs after chin-ups.

4. I know, fat loss is simply a matter of caloric deficit over time.

While these 5X5 methods, etc. are a good method for strength gain, and maybe even the best, what about those who want to lose fat?

5. Any other comments about this idea?

I actually did the same thing, tried using that shit program for fat loss instead of “starting strength”, probably 8 or 9 years ago. Don’t do it, it doesn’t work like that.

Just tell me what does work?

In my life, I have read about 300 different workout programs. What actually works best? Any evidence to support?

In terms of what is "best" for fat loss, the answer is sleep, nutrition, and training. For most people the contribution of training to fat loss will be dwarfed in comparison to their sleep and nutrition. So, make sure you give these their due as much as you can. When you then go to decide on a training program, you need to remember that the more lean mass you have, the easier it is to have lower body fat percentages. So, you need a program that is good at building lean mass. You also need a program that is concise enough that you won't get lost, waste time unnecessarily, or burn out too soon. Strong Lifts will burn you out fairly quickly. Read the blue book and do SS first. It is very effective and will pave the way for more complicated programming when you need it down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by jklunder View Post

In my life, I have read about 300 different workout programs. What actually works best? Any evidence to support?
    It’s literally written everywhere here, the hell are you looking at? Get the two books, follow the programs, and ask Santana in the nutrition forum for some advice if you have questions, it’s that easy.

I went from an under trained 6’ 250lbs to 205lbs while getting stronger the whole time just doing the nlp. I lost 45lbs and brought my deadlift from 275 to 425 with no resets at the same time. If you really are impatient like I was then organize and count your macros for a bit until you get a general understanding of what you’re supposed to eat. I lost weight doing high carb high protein and lowered my fat by not eating red meat and condiments loaded with fat, it wasn’t hard.

In terms of programs for fat loss, as far as I know there aren’t any, it’s all bullshit. Follow the programs written by rip and those guys and you will see how well it works.

Quote Originally Posted by jklunder View Post

Didn't you like the answers you were given the other four times you asked this question in the last ten years?

There is no magic program for fat loss. You restrict calories, you keep reps at 5 or more, and try to add every week like you would otherwise and hope for the best. Keeping calorie restriction capped at periods at 12-16 weeks tops minimizes strength and muscle loss but most post-novice lifters will lose something off of the bar or at best maintain.

This has always been over thought, imo. Assuming we're not precontest bodybuilders where every little thing counts, it's not really rocket science. Keep protein where it should be and other than that, either eat less calories than you burn or burn more calories than you eat. Easy.

starting strength coach development program
    The lifting doesn't make you lose fat. The diet does. Unless you're really high in bodyfat percentage. If you're over 30% or something you should probably just do the SS program with some leaner eating. There is an example of this in the grey book. If you're lower in fat and/or more trained already you'll probably have to do a weekly program instead with a serious caloric restriction diet. In this case, you won't be able to gain much. But you definitely shouldn't be doing 5x5 type volume. The deficit will not allow you to sustain that kind of training. Even in a surplus stronglifts' 5x5 protocol is kind of outta whack as far as progression goes. The reason to go 5x5 is because 3x5 isn't enough stimulus anymore, and when you do 5x5 you need to give more time to recover between heavy 5x5 attempts. That's why the programs that do use 5x5s are weekly ones.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast