starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stuck/minimal Progress for a few years

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bryant View Post
    6 months of training. PR's are in bold italic

1. I'm not benching or pressing because I don't have the desire to, I get some arm/shoulder work from the pulling.
    2. I like rotating pulling movements but if you think adding deadlifts or just deadlifting is better then I'll give it a try.
    3. The last workout I felt a little burnt out and decided to cut the workout short.

I appreciate your time.

You really need consistency in what you do or you'll never progress. You need to understand too that the Big 4 lifts are crucial to developing your entire body (eliminating body imbalances). In addition, your squat progression for instance doesn't have much rhythm to it which goes back to consistency. Proven and effective programming needs that consistency so you can implement the Minimum Effective Dose by making small changes to drive progress.

Starting Strength is THE cookie cutter program to build a foundation of strength from which you grow on. You may or may not need to go back to this style of programming (will for your press/bench), but if you move beyond it then you should really transition into something like the Texas Method or HLM. The Texas Method for instance uses high volume at moderate intensity early in the week to cause a stimulus and allow you to drive progress with a high intensity, low volume lift later in the week and repeat this each week; HLM works similar, but both programs have a day where 1 lift (usually higher V/lower I) drives progress on another day (lower V/higher I). You progress 5 (or 2.5lbs/week) on your lifts once a week with a fixed set/rep scheme. When things slow down, you can make 1 small change (if you're feeling particularly beat up on 5x5 VD squat, you may drop 1 or 2 sets and adjust accordingly). These sort of programming tips are what make or break your progress. This is all for naught though if your recovery isn't in check (eating, sleeping, not thinking about what life would be like if you were still with your ex at 10:30pm trying to sleep, etc.)

If you really wanted to keep your type of schedule, I'd try to make the frequency 3x/week for your sessions and reincorporate the Press, Bench, and Deadlift back into the program; then I would attempt to at least do a Heavy/Light split of some sort (see PPST3). If you want a thicker back, Deadlifts will absolutely get you there. I know because in my bro split days I used to deadlift max 225, but when your deadlift moves up to 405 and beyond, your traps/lats/shoulders will make your shirt size go up 1 or 2 sizes alone.

Are you writing Load x Sets x Reps or Load x Reps x Sets?

I am also confused on your lack or pressing. You mentioned pressing 152.5 x 5 x 5. Then you said you have no interest?

I think your squat progression is slow by design. Why not add 2.5 kg per week and stick with one rep range on both days? Your deadlift programming lacks stress off of the floor. Just Rack pull a 5 RM one week and do a deadlift/deficit deadlift/halting deadlift one week. Then maybe later go Rack Pull/Deadlift/Shrug repeat. Then you pull heavy every three weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Are you writing Load x Sets x Reps or Load x Reps x Sets?

I am also confused on your lack or pressing. You mentioned pressing 152.5 x 5 x 5. Then you said you have no interest?

I think your squat progression is slow by design. Why not add 2.5 kg per week and stick with one rep range on both days? Your deadlift programming lacks stress off of the floor. Just Rack pull a 5 RM one week and do a deadlift/deficit deadlift/halting deadlift one week. Then maybe later go Rack Pull/Deadlift/Shrug repeat. Then you pull heavy every three weeks.
    Load x Sets x Reps.

152.5 x 5 x 5 was for the squat in kg.

I'm trying to take a long term view and whilst adding 2.5kg a week may work for 4 weeks or so, I'd prefer to set up a program that means I add 2.5kg /month consistently for maybe 6 months. I feel like weekly progression like that means more resets in the long term. But who am I to say. Infact, at this stage, I'd like to hit a 160 x 5 x 5 squat. I'd guess I'm currently around 150/152.5 for 5 x 5.

How do I get from 150 x 5 x 5 to 160? What would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bryant View Post
    Load x Sets x Reps.

How do I get from 150 x 5 x 5 to 160?
    1) Add 2.5 kg to the bar every week for four weeks and make the first set the priority.

2) Eat 400 g/d of carbohydrates and 200 g/d of protein. You underestimate what is in fact possible.

Thanks for your help. Can I set it up as one top set + back offs?

For example; 150 x 5, 145 x 4 x 5.

And would suggest a lighter squat workout towards the end of the week or not necessary?

Thanks again.

Yes one top set + back offs work. You may not need a second workout with that much work but you can try it. Another option is do two days @ 3 x 5, with one day heavy and one day lighter with a pause and/or box.

Thanks for your help, Robert.

You are welcome Tom. Keep me posted on how things work out.

What should I do for chins? I can only do 2 maybe 3 reps.

First 5x5 squat workout went well, 150 x 5 felt easy, then I did 4 x 5 with 140.

Thanks,
    Tom

starting strength coach development program
    Looks fine to me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast