starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stuck/minimal Progress for a few years

Default Stuck/minimal Progress for a few years

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Just need some advice really.

I’m tired of training, tired of reading contradicting information, I don’t know if I need more volume, less volume, more frequency, less frequency or who knows what else. I feel like after about 6 weeks of a program I’m ready for a rest/light week but usually end up pushing through.

The most frustrating part is I’ve tried different programs, rarely missed a workout, trained hard but made next to no progress.

Current stats:
    Male
    6’
    240lbs
    405 1RM squat. Best 5RM is 160kg/353lbs.

My original goal was to hit a 180kg squat and I achieved that several years ago now. Since then, I’ve still wanted to train as I believe in the positive affects it has on mind and body but I’m not prepared to gain anymore weight whilst at (I’d guess) 25% bodyfat.

I guess I don’t have the drive for training like when I started but I’d still like to train as I mentioned. With the idea of maintaining/slow progress on my squat. I’d also like a bit more ‘mass’ on my back. Currently using a weekly rotation of rack pulls, shrugs, RDLs and then chins on my ‘light’ pulling day which is working well for that. So I think for my squat I’d like to maintain my 1RM. Some days I still feel like pushing the reps or going up to a heavy weight and seeing what happens.

I guess this is a, “what program shall I do?”, question. I know Andy has a training without a plan program so I may use this approach for my squat as I progress my back training along side. My only worry is that I’ll loose strength with only 3 heavy squat sets a week.

Thanks for your time!

More details would help. For example, did you read the blue book and finish out your NLP? If so, what numbers did you end with? What modifications did you make after that and what numbers did you end with?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bryant View Post

I’d also like a bit more ‘mass’ on my back.
    You have not mentioned what your deadlift is? Have you ever hired one of us? Sounds like you need some accountability because you have all of the resources available to DIY what you are describing.

Accountability? I've been training by myself, without coaching for several years. I'm stuck, that's why I'm reaching out here. I probably need a coach but thought I'd see if anyone was willing to help on the forum first.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden-William Courtland View Post
    More details would help. For example, did you read the blue book and finish out your NLP? If so, what numbers did you end with? What modifications did you make after that and what numbers did you end with?
    Yes. I also have the grey book. Just thought I would ask for some opinions here to perhaps save me some time trying anything and everything.

Weights are in kg. Started NLP with around 40x3x5 and ended with 120x3x5 squat, with the help of Tom C. I then did TM for 6 months or more and took my squat to 140x5. Since then I’ve done the One Lift Per Day program in PPST with good results. I’ve used various HLM variants and some of Andy’s programs. All of which also helped me make small improvements to get to 185 1RM squat.

I took a year off training and came back to somewhere around 180kg+ squat 1RM within about 6 months.

Thanks for your time.

You said the following

I guess I don’t have the drive for training like when I started but I’d still like to train as I mentioned. With the idea of maintaining/slow progress on my squat.
    This comes across as a motivation issue. It is unclear what you have tried in the past and you mentioned being confused with disinformation. Have you exhausted all of the templates in the Grey Book and are still stuck?[/QUOTE]

I took a year off training and came back to somewhere around 180kg+ squat 1RM within about 6 months.

Thanks for your time.
    You don't sound stuck, it sounds like you are making progress. Have you been missing lifts?

Hi Robert,

I'm motivated to train, not missed a workout in months and always attempt the last rep. I feel like I've made some small progress, not tested my 1RM however. I haven't missed any reps but not pushed for PR's either, maybe I should try. I've been working up to close to previous 5x5 PR weights and then resetting as I feel like I'll miss the next increase or I just get tired of training. Not 100% sure how to go about 'working up' to a new 5x5 PR. I'd like to get 160x5x5. I hit 152.5x5x5 a few weeks ago which matches my previous PR before the layoff.

I've not tried all of the templates in the grey book, but most of the intermediate. I'm comfortable with the slower progress on an advanced program but haven't allowed myself to try them as I don't consider my squat numbers advanced.

Hi Robert,
    Not 100% sure how to go about 'working up' to a new 5x5 PR. I'd like to get 160x5x5. I hit 152.5x5x5 a few weeks ago which matches my previous PR before the layoff.
    What did you attempt the weeks after 152.5 x 5 x 5? The logical next step would have been to add another 2.5 lb the following week.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    What did you attempt the weeks after 152.5 x 5 x 5? The logical next step would have been to add another 2.5 lb the following week.
    6 months of training. PR's are in bold italic

1. I'm not benching or pressing because I don't have the desire to, I get some arm/shoulder work from the pulling.
    2. I like rotating pulling movements but if you think adding deadlifts or just deadlifting is better then I'll give it a try.
    3. The last workout I felt a little burnt out and decided to cut the workout short.

I appreciate your time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast