• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Background:
    6'3" 295
    started SS about a month ago
    current work sets:
    SQ: 265 (before reset, now 225), Press: 95, Bench: 155, DL: 290

After seeing a video of myself squatting, realized my squat form was complete garbage (not getting depth, leaning forward too much, sticking my chest up during the hip drive). I reset my squat to 225 to focus on form for 2 sessions and am doing much better, so I'm adding weight from there.

Question:
    The reset now has my DL 70lbs above my squat, should I switch to power cleans? I know that the book says to do it when the DL is well established ahead of the SQ, but since I lowered the squat, does that still count? Starting with today's workout I'm going to 5lbs increases for the DL, but keeping 10lbs for the SQ -- so it will be catching up here in a couple weeks.

Thanks in advance.

In the end each lift will have its own course for linear progression. They won't all end the same time even without a reset. So, I would think of this in terms of programming to optimize stress/recovery. The concern is that at some point deadlifting 3x per week becomes too much stress for a novice to recover from. The power clean then becomes a lighter day that you can alternate with the deadlift. So, if the deadlift is chugging along fine you can leave it, but when it starts to get hard, the safe option is to plug the power clean in there so you don't get stuck.

Ok, this makes sense. Thanks!