starting strength gym

Thread: Time to get off the fence...

Question Time to get off the fence...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    u SS guys are awesome, rip reminds me of too many men that are too far gone from this world.
    ME... 43, 5'5", @200 lbs, been under the barbell for about a year... started from scratch other than a couple bench presses in high school, but growing up a farm boy, no stranger to work.
    I don't have accurate 5rm numbers, as i found mike matthews bigger leaner stronger, read it, followed his one year challenge and fell in love with strength training, found the starting strength website/book along the way. Considered many times to switch to the SS NLP, but didn't. Pre-covid i started plateauing on my major lifts, and decided to move to the beyond bigger leaner stronger, ive continued to lift through covid somewhat sporadically, but now back in the gym i find possibly BBLS is too much volume, i feel absolutely ransacked when i get all 5 days in at the gym, when i take a few days off, my lifts go up (weight on the bar). Me not being in a caloric surplus probably isn't helping that much. blah blah, u guys have heard all this a thousand times, so to the actual questions...
    1. should i switch to the SS NLP or the "texas method" (practical programming book shows up today). @1rm's are bench 215lbs, press 160lbs, deadlift 355 lbs, squat 310lbs
    2. does the app simply program NLP, or intermediate as well?

BTW the fence i was referring to was the pipe dream of increasing my max, while losing weight, i get much more joy from lifting heavy than i do being hungry, i'll cut later(maybe)
    BTW any other advice you guys have in transitioning over im happy to hear

1) Start with NLP and run it til your recovery allows. I would not do classic Texas Method at your age, let alone calorically deprived though, that's asking for trouble. I'd run 12 weeks of caloric restriction, see where the program takes you, scale up to caloric maintenance, then run a 4-day TM or HLM and see how that works.

2) The Starting Strength app is for NLP