starting strength gym

Thread: Different programming for different lifts

Default Different programming for different lifts

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello rip
    My squats and deadlifts are at the point where I feel like I need to lower the frequency of my workouts to every 72 - 96 hours (like suggested in practical programming), yet my bench and press can still improve every 48-72 hours, how should I program for such a thing?

Lifts:
    Squat - 312lbs × 5
    Bench - 180lbs × 5
    Deadlift - 334lbs × 5
    Press - 147lbs × 3
    Power clean - 160lbs

I'm 16 years old
    185cm tall
    Weighing 210lbs

Thanks

It says in the book that not all the lifts will hit the intermediate stage at the same time, it doesn't specify how to train when that happens. Should I squat every 72 hours but bench and press every 48?

Quote Originally Posted by yamshiloh View Post
    It says in the book that not all the lifts will hit the intermediate stage at the same time, it doesn't specify how to train when that happens. Should I squat every 72 hours but bench and press every 48?
    You have many options here. A common approach would be to stick to 3 days per week and make advanced novice modifications (lights days, top sets, etc.) for the lifts that need it and allow the other lifts to chug along. You can also start making some of the lifts have intermediate style programming in a 3 day structure (alternating volume days and intensity days).
    Last edited by Hayden-William Courtland; 06-29-2020 at 06:29 AM.

I have already included the light squat day and the top set modification, and I can still squat every 72 hours so doing intermediate programming for it will be kind of a waste. Is it possible to train the bench and press every 48 hours and my squats every 72? So that in some days I will only be doing upper body or only lower body? Can this work? Seems like the fastest approach to maximize gains.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by yamshiloh View Post
    I have already included the light squat day and the top set modification, and I can still squat every 72 hours so doing intermediate programming for it will be kind of a waste. Is it possible to train the bench and press every 48 hours and my squats every 72? So that in some days I will only be doing upper body or only lower body? Can this work? Seems like the fastest approach to maximize gains.
    A common intermediate program actually just removes the light day squat and has you squatting on Mon and Fri. So, if you did that you could have Mon: SQ, PR Vol, DL. Wed: PR Int, BP Vol., Chins/Cleans. Fri: SQ, BP Int, DL.