starting strength gym

Thread: Using highbar squats while increasing shoulder mobility.

Default Using highbar squats while increasing shoulder mobility.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey all,

5'9", 175 lbs, 25 years old

I've played around in the gym on and off for several years, jumping from program to program with little-to-no dedication, but only in the last month have I started taking things seriously with novice linear progression.

However, I've discovered that I posses the shoulder mobility of someone twice my age and can't get into the lowbar squat position, even with the widest possible grip.
    (Spent most of my life hunched over a computer, go figure.)

Is the high-bar an adequate replacement while I continue to increase shoulder mobility, and once I do, should I expect to start from scratch on lowbar, or should most of the gains carry over?
    Is there anything else I can do in the meantime that would have any benefit for future low bar squatting?

You've probably discovered something that is not true.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaverund View Post
    Is there anything else I can do in the meantime that would have any benefit for future low bar squatting?
    Low Bar Position Stretch

Helped me a while ago when I first learned as well. It'll get better.

Ignoring the hyperbole in my original post, I certainly hope that's the case, but I fail to see the alternative.

I've considered the fact that I'm just not pushing into the stretch quite hard enough (using Paul Horn's technique).
    However, trying to force myself into the position usually results in an external rotation of my hands, as well as a numb/tingling sensation in them that I can only assume is from poor circulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaverund View Post
    Hey all,

5'9", 175 lbs, 25 years old

I've played around in the gym on and off for several years, jumping from program to program with little-to-no dedication, but only in the last month have I started taking things seriously with novice linear progression.

However, I've discovered that I posses the shoulder mobility of someone twice my age and can't get into the lowbar squat position, even with the widest possible grip.
    (Spent most of my life hunched over a computer, go figure.)

Is the high-bar an adequate replacement while I continue to increase shoulder mobility, and once I do, should I expect to start from scratch on lowbar, or should most of the gains carry over?
    I had the same problem and bought a long ratan stick. The kind they use for karate. Ok... I already had one. I started with a wide grip and worked at it for 2 years and now I can do it. It hurts like a MF'r to get it done but it works. I can now get my ring fingers on the powerlifting ring of the bar and it gets easier the more I squat.