starting strength gym

Thread: Switching to a 4-day split

Default Switching to a 4-day split

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Im a 22 year old male who is 6’1” and about 245 lbs. I’ve been working out for a long time, but only consistently did the SS LP over the past 3 months.

My current routine is M-W-F, with a light squat day on Wednesdays (80%x5x2) and deadlift once a week on the light squat day with the upper body lift in rotation. Monday and Friday i alternate Squat, Press/Bench, and Power Clean/Chin Up.

My current progress:
    Squat: 261.5 —> 353.5 (5,5,3) followed by a reset for form. Now at 320.5x5 followed by 2 back off sets at 90% of 5RM
    Bench: 167.5 —> 198x5x3
    Press: 111 —> 151.5 (4,4,4,3)
    Deadlift: 271 —> 359x5x1
    Power Clean: 116 —> 181x3x3

I’ve deloaded and reset at least once on each exercise, and the workouts are taking at least 2 hours to finish on each day. In addition, I implemented a light squat day and back off sets for the squat. I have also started to get 15 reps total for the press instead of 3 sets of 5 while increasing the weight. I am considering changing to a 4-day split in order to be able to fit the workouts better in my schedule and to move onto early intermediate programming. I am considering the following:

M: BP 1x5, OHP 5x5 @90% 5RM, PC 3x3
    T: S 1x5, DL 3x5 @80%, Chin Ups
    W: Rest
    Th: OHP 1x5, BP 5x5 @90% 5RM
    F: DL 1x5, S 3x5 @90% 5RM, Chins
    Sat: Rest
    Sun: Rest

I got to this general outline through a combination of the programs in PPST3 and some forum discussions. Does this program seem like a logical progression for my goals of saving time and progressing? I am worried that I am decreasing intensity too much by moving to 1x5 for the intensity movement, but I am not sure. Should I add in drop sets for the intensity lifts? Also, do I move back to doing 5 lb jumps on the upper body lifts or do I stay at 2.5 lb jumps?

You have at least 3 months left on the novice progression. Read:

The First Three Questions | Mark Rippetoe

I’m definitely sleeping enough (8+ hours/night) and my jumps for upper body are 2.5lbs. I started at about 240lbs and stayed the same weight while making progress for a while (as expected). Eventually i started gaining and am now at 245 so I don’t think im undereating. Especially since I started out slightly overweight. I obviously want to get the most out of LP but my main problem is that the workouts take so long (2+ hours). If I could stretch out LP to a 4 day split that would be ideal.

Rest between sets?

For squats i take about 10 min rest per set. For upper body lifts i take about 5 min. Same goes for chin ups. I workout in my home gym with two workout partners. So while theyre going and changing weights im resting.