starting strength gym

Thread: Press Advice

Default Press Advice

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    6’1”/270lb/26yo male. I’ve been on LP for 10 months or so my last press day i did 3x4(1),3(2),4(1)x191lb (the reps in parentheses i did a minute after the initial reps). I was listening to the video where coach Nick talks about alternate programming for the press, such as adding a second press day or doing 15 sets of 1 with a minute or 30sec rest in between. Is it time for me to start changing my programming? By the way ive been moving up 1lb at a time since 170lbs.

1. 10minutes between sets 2. 1lb jumps 3. 150-220grams of protein, i see better gains when i eat more.

10 Min is more than enough for presses. I would raise your protein and are you getting enough carbs and overall calories? It's also likely you not need some programming modifications since you have been at it for a while. There are different ways to do this. You could do a top set and several back-off sets, move to a 2x/wk press, and so on. Given you are failing your first set, you likely need a bit of a reset first to deload some stress.

Okay, ill scale it back and work my way up again.