starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Structuring my Pressing program

Default Structuring my Pressing program

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello.
    I've recently finished a second round of NLP after returning from a back injury in October (I was coached by an SSC up until that point). I have progressed to intermediate programming, and I've chosen to use a 3-day HLM approach to fit with my schedule and recovery tendencies. Most HLM templates I've seen tend to prioritize either the bench or the press, however I'm an equal opportunity employer and would like to give equal opportunity to both movements. I have decided to try something like this, using a two-week cycle.

Week A:
    Mon-Heavy Bench (5x5)
    Wed-Heavy Press (5x5)
    Fri-Med Bench (4x5)

Week B:
    Mon-Med Press (4x5)
    Wed-Heavy Bench (5x5)
    Fri-Heavy Press (5x5)

My heavy days are a top set of 5 followed by 4 back off sets of 5 at about a 5-10% reduction. My medium days are another 5-10% reduction (based on weight used for back off sets). For my Heavy bench, my top set is a standard grip bench, I am using close grip for back offs because that amount of volume+intensity tends to aggravate my shoulder. My medium day bench is an incline at about a 30 degree angle or so. Obviously this setup does not allow for a "light" day, but I feel is still structured around HLM principles.

My plan is to try this using a linear weekly progression for about 4-6 weeks, then assess how I'm feeling before trying a cyclical approach to intensity.

Is this a decent set up? Are there tweaks I should consider to maximize strength improvements?

You might run into recovery issues with the heavy BP between your Med and Heavy PR days. Might need to tweak that to a bit less volume.

An Andy Baker suggestion if you have the time is to add a "1/2 day" on Saturday (assuming you're doing MWF) and you can add some 3x5 presses on that day and another assistance if you want. I'd try doing the 3-day HLM as prescribed until your press stops before doing that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden-William Courtland View Post
    You might run into recovery issues with the heavy BP between your Med and Heavy PR days. Might need to tweak that to a bit less volume.
    Excellent. Would you recommend doing a light set of about 85-90% for 3x5? Or keeping intensity higher but just reducing volume down a set or two?
    Last edited by Andrew Prine; 07-21-2020 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    An Andy Baker suggestion if you have the time is to add a "1/2 day" on Saturday (assuming you're doing MWF) and you can add some 3x5 presses on that day and another assistance if you want. I'd try doing the 3-day HLM as prescribed until your press stops before doing that though.
    Yes I had considered that. The plan I thought up was more of a compromise to keep from adding another day, I was hoping to squeeze some life out of a 3 day routine before adding in another day. Though I could probably use some conditioning work, as he advocates on the half day.

I'd probably hit a heavy lock out with some back offs on that middle bench press day. That way you can still get weight in your hands and not wreck the shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Prine View Post
    Hello.
    I've recently finished a second round of NLP after returning from a back injury in October (I was coached by an SSC up until that point). I have progressed to intermediate programming, and I've chosen to use a 3-day HLM approach to fit with my schedule and recovery tendencies. Most HLM templates I've seen tend to prioritize either the bench or the press, however I'm an equal opportunity employer and would like to give equal opportunity to both movements. I have decided to try something like this, using a two-week cycle.

Week A:
    Mon-Heavy Bench (5x5)
    Wed-Heavy Press (5x5)
    Fri-Med Bench (4x5)

Week B:
    Mon-Med Press (4x5)
    Wed-Heavy Bench (5x5)
    Fri-Heavy Press (5x5)

My heavy days are a top set of 5 followed by 4 back off sets of 5 at about a 5-10% reduction. My medium days are another 5-10% reduction (based on weight used for back off sets). For my Heavy bench, my top set is a standard grip bench, I am using close grip for back offs because that amount of volume+intensity tends to aggravate my shoulder. My medium day bench is an incline at about a 30 degree angle or so. Obviously this setup does not allow for a "light" day, but I feel is still structured around HLM principles.

My plan is to try this using a linear weekly progression for about 4-6 weeks, then assess how I'm feeling before trying a cyclical approach to intensity.

Is this a decent set up? Are there tweaks I should consider to maximize strength improvements?
    I have wondered off and on if this would help solve the issue of detraining:
    Week 1:
    Heavy: Heavy Bench
    Light: Heavy Press
    Medium: Medium Bench

Week 2:
    Heavy: Heavy Bench
    Light: Heavy Press
    Medium: Medium Press

So heavy days would remain as per the usual, but medium days would alternate between medium benches and medium presses. Not sure if this has been asked before (search did not reveal any previous queries on this), but just wondered what Hayden/Robert/Any other SS coaches thought about that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    I'd probably hit a heavy lock out with some back offs on that middle bench press day. That way you can still get weight in your hands and not wreck the shoulders.
    I like this idea, essentially treating Medium day as an overload event, correct?

I had also thought up something like this:

Week A:
    Heavy Bench, 5x5
    Medium Press, 4x5
    Light Bench, 3x5-8

Week B
    Heavy Press, 5x5
    Medium Bench, 4x5
    Light Press, 3x5-8

Heavy bench would continue to be a top set followed by CG back offs.
    Light bench might be an incline, with medium being the pin or floor press like you suggested
    Light press would be strict (no bounce or throw).

Yes I had considered that. The plan I thought up was more of a compromise to keep from adding another day, I was hoping to squeeze some life out of a 3 day routine before adding in another day. Though I could probably use some conditioning work, as he advocates on the half day.
    I understand wanting to keep it down to 3 days. Personally, my Press suffers a lot if I only do it once a week. Twice a week is a game changer though as well as going heavy once a week with it.

starting strength coach development program
    I like this idea, essentially treating Medium day as an overload event, correct?

I had also thought up something like this:

Week A:
    Heavy Bench, 5x5
    Medium Press, 4x5
    Light Bench, 3x5-8

Week B
    Heavy Press, 5x5
    Medium Bench, 4x5
    Light Press, 3x5-8

Heavy bench would continue to be a top set followed by CG back offs.
    Light bench might be an incline, with medium being the pin or floor press like you suggested
    Light press would be strict (no bounce or throw).
    Yes that would work. Try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    I understand wanting to keep it down to 3 days. Personally, my Press suffers a lot if I only do it once a week. Twice a week is a game changer though as well as going heavy once a week with it.
    This depends on your level of advancement. An early intermediate will get away with it. By that I mean the guy who never touched a weight before, ran the LP and transitioned to HLM or TM. Not the trained novice who was benching and "doing shoulders" for several years and decides to do TM. He's going to have the experience you are describing. The rank novice who is transitioning to intermediate training will do just fine for a while. This is a commonly misunderstood application of that split on the upper body lifts and I believe it is related to the fact that many male lifters who find this material have messed around with upper body lifts prior to applying our methods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast