starting strength gym

Thread: Covid comeback and appropriate progression on NLP

Default Covid comeback and appropriate progression on NLP

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Finally, after over 4 months of substituting exercise routines for training I’m back in the Gym. I’ve started NLP over to help get back to where I was. Took Rips advice and limited squats to one set of five at around half my one rep max-60Kg . Deadlift at one set of five at 120Kg down from a 1RM of 172.5Kg. Press similarly down from 50Kg to 30Kg. All the lifts felt fine, appropriately heavy, but not crushing.

I have a sense I want to rush and pile on the weight. I’m convinced I can throw another 20Kg on the squat for 3 sets of 5 and 20Kg on the DL next session.....but should I ? Do I slow it to 5/10 Lb increments, or go balls out trying to get back to where I was as fast as possible ?

60 year old Male. 5’8”. 3 years of consistent training. No injuries. No health problems.

This was discussed on a recent podcast.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This was discussed on a recent podcast.
    I found a good answer from one of the coaches on the subject of forced layoffs. Good example of the kind of weight increases that might be expected. I was just wondering if there was a difference for us older folk ? I don’t think there need be any difference, just take it steady and avoid injury according to capacity. Thanks anyway.