starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Programming when you can't get enough protein / calories

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    To increase your tolerance to legumes (which I think you mean by pulses) you can try breaking down the lectin that cause the inflammatory response. Steve Gundry lists a couple methods to do this: soaking, pressure cooking, or my preferred method of cook-cool-cook.

Rationing under a communist government probably doesn't mesh very well with a high protein caloric surplus diet. I get the feeling they are in no hurry to help you make yourself stronger, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Elle View Post
    To increase your tolerance to legumes (which I think you mean by pulses) you can try breaking down the lectin that cause the inflammatory response. Steve Gundry lists a couple methods to do this: soaking, pressure cooking, or my preferred method of cook-cool-cook.
    Yes, I meant the edible seeds of the legumes by the term "Pulse". We pressure cook all pulses. We usually soak red grams (Pigeon Peas) before cooking. Green gram is much softer and does not need soaking.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    Rationing under a communist government probably doesn't mesh very well with a high protein caloric surplus diet. I get the feeling they are in no hurry to help you make yourself stronger, either.
    No government wants the people to get strong, literally or figuratively, do they?

Well, our Communist guys are democratically elected and are as capitalist in many of their actions as they can get. Even though I don't agree with most of their political ideology, I don't blame them for my present mess because they have been providing free ration consisting of rice and pulses to all under containment (which we have not opted because we can afford to pay for them) with the idea that people need carbs and proteins to survive. They are now promoting kitchen farming to meet the veggie needs. They have been home delivering mid day meals to the needy kids even though the schools remain closed. I doubt the long term sustainability of these actions though - freebies make people lazy.

My issue is not the calories, I can get enough of them. Proteins are the issue because I can't tolerate the pulses and milk. So I need eggs, meat or whey to meet my needs and these are hard to get in the present situation due to disrupted supply chain.

You live on a river. Can you fish?

Quote Originally Posted by bobman View Post
    You live on a river. Can you fish?
    River is 10 kilometres away.

That's like 6 miles!

Depending on how clean the river is, I'd be hesitant to eat a lot of fish from it anyway.

You mentioned rats and snakes. Rats are an important protein source in many parts of the world, and I wouldn't wait until I was starving to eat them. Not sure what kind of snakes you have, but there are worse things than snake meat, too, although depending on the size it may not be worth the trouble.

Can you get laying hens? Rabbits? Guinea pigs? Rabbits in particular are ridiculously lean, but they get to eating weight quickly. Guinea pig isn't bad, either. Just don't let the kids name the ones your going to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    Depending on how clean the river is, I'd be hesitant to eat a lot of fish from it anyway.

You mentioned rats and snakes. Rats are an important protein source in many parts of the world, and I wouldn't wait until I was starving to eat them. Not sure what kind of snakes you have, but there are worse things than snake meat, too, although depending on the size it may not be worth the trouble.

Can you get laying hens? Rabbits? Guinea pigs? Rabbits in particular are ridiculously lean, but they get to eating weight quickly. Guinea pig isn't bad, either. Just don't let the kids name the ones your going to eat.
    We too don't eat a lot of river fish since ours is a coastal town and we like the sea fish better.

I have found a way to get eggs and meat delivered to our street entry point through an online grocery app. I think my problems would be solved by tomorrow without resorting to the suggested extreme measures if everything goes well.

In any case, if my wife will surely file for a divorce, if she comes to know that I am contemplating about eating rats.

Quote Originally Posted by PuliMorgan View Post
    Amazon does not deliver to the so called "Containment Zones". Nor do the food delivery services. Only the basic provisions, medicines and newspapers easily get through the barricades. The
    extent of enforcement varies from region to region, but in my area it has been a bit stricter.

You see, I am out of chalk, out of good coffee, out of printer cartridges, and only a little bit of whey is left.- all these things were just a click away on Amazon or Flipkart until this mess happened.

Okay, I will find a way. Hoping that the restrictions would ease in the coming week.
    If you can't get a hold of quality meat protein, can you look to stock up on peanut butter and other nuts of which, if I understand correctly, India is one of the largest producers worldwide? Check for factories and other small-scale producers (farmers) near your place of residence.

starting strength coach development program
    I got some fish, meat and eggs delivered. Also, my office has arranged a special pass for me to attend the work from tomorrow till 14th August. While I am not particularly enthusiastic about returning to the office, now I can move freely in and out of the Containment and it solves my food problem for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by 8odin8 View Post
    If you can't get a hold of quality meat protein, can you look to stock up on peanut butter and other nuts of which, if I understand correctly, India is one of the largest producers worldwide? Check for factories and other small-scale producers (farmers) near your place of residence.
    I had stocked up about 4 kg (9 lbs) of peanuts. But apparently it wasn't enough. Coming to Peanut Butter, I don't understand why the Americans are so crazy about it. I haven't met any Indian who actually likes it. Craving for peanut butter must be yet another American oddity, like the usage of the imperial units, that the foreigners can't easily understand.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast