starting strength gym

Thread: Typical Progress on NLP? I would like to hear from you!

Default Typical Progress on NLP? I would like to hear from you!

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Guys, I would love to hear the progress you made on NLP. I am a collegiate strength coach & I'm thinking about running this with some of my athletes but this is really more for my curiosity.

Please include your basic stats (sex, height, weight) & what your caloric intake was like during NLP.

Thanks! Look forward to hearing from you!

Hi, I couldn't give you the numbers of my first LP but as nobody else is writing an answer you are probably interested in my "post-Corona-LP".

I´m living in Germany and the gyms in my area were closed for about 2 month. So right now I try to regain to the numbers I was using before the lockdown. And I'm basically using the standard LP to achieve this as fast as possible.

Start: May 11th 2020
    Height: 5´10, Age: 26, male

Squat: 176 lbs -> 287 lbs (+ 111)
    Bench: 132 lbs -> 193 lbs (+ 61)
    Press: 77 lbs -> 121 lbs (+ 44)
    Deadlift: 210 lbs -> 303 lbs (+ 93)
    Bodyweight: 177 lbs -> 188 lbs (+ 11)

Squat: Had 2 resets and use 1 light session every third time now.
    Bench: Had 1 reset.
    Press: Had 1 reset.
    Deadlift: Alternate deadlift wit chins and do light weight every second time I deadlift.

Just "running the program" will probably not yield the most optimal success. The method is more than the program. Moreover, you're going to need to know what to do in situations where your trainees aren't complying, having trouble, or simply not seeing results. you're going to need to do the program yourself and you're going to definitely need to learn how to coach the movements. You might want to at minimum attend the seminar.

I did one on my own last year from June to December. I probably did a lot of things wrong with it. I think I started too heavy on my pressing movements, maybe even on my deadlifts. I also had to dick around a lot with resets for my squat to fix form issues. But my best progress was still on said squats. I started with 95x5x3 and ended with 285x5x3. Almost 200 pounds increased in 6 months, better than you'd expect from other programs that advance at a more "intermediate" pace (5 pounds a week). I also probably could've done better with my eating. It's hard for me to eat the amount I should to sustain the program, I have large limbs and a small torso. I'm kind of like a truck with a small gas tank. Anyway, it far exceeded any forays into attempting to build my strength up in the past when I was younger, I am 35 years old and physically stronger than I have ever been before in my entire life, even after having been stuck out of a gym and able to do heavy lifts, and spending those months in a deficit diet. So if it worked that well for me, someone who has probably average at best athletic potential and didn't do the thing optimally, I am sure it has great promise for a team of athletes.

That said, the advice to dive in and do it yourself before trying to guide others through it as Satch recommended is something I'll second. You become most familiar with the movements and the program and its demands by successfully going through them yourself. Also, I'd recommend picking up "The Strongest Shall Survive", (also sold here by Aasgard) as additional reading. It's old, and the program it outlines is a little different (but not wildly so) but it stands up. It's almost like a spiritual predecessor to Starting Strength and the Practical Programming programs (in fact, it IS an HLM intermediate program). The book is written with a coach training an athletic team in mind, and covers a lot of the particular challenges of that setting. So you may be interested in picking it up for that reason alone. Bill Starr essentially wrote it from his own experiences doing the same job you do.