Having trouble with Power Cleans Having trouble with Power Cleans

starting strength gym
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Having trouble with Power Cleans

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    27

    Default Having trouble with Power Cleans

    • wichita falls texas december seminar 2020
    • wichita falls texas february 2021 seminar
    • starting strength seminar april 2021
    Hi,

    I have recently returned to the gym after our forced house arrest.

    Age: 33
    Weight: 260
    Height: 6í2

    Previously, while doing my NLP I did not incorporate the Power Clean.

    I would like to take advantage of the setback in my weights to start doing them, but I can seem to physically get my elbows up high enough for the rack position. I tried all different grip widths and the best I could manage was about halfway to where the blue book states the elbows should be. Are there tricks or cues to help this basic requirement for the lift?

    For anatomical reference, my bar needs to float about four inches above my chest during a press to keep my elbows from kicking behind me.

    I know that there is a subset of lifters that canít do PC, I would rather not be in that subset if I can help it.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    430

    Default

    Sounds like you won't be able to rack the bar, unfortunately. You could try doing some upper arm external rotation stretches with a PVC or broom handle to work on the elbows in position, but based on what you said it will take some time to move the needle and it might not be enough.
    __________________________________________________
    Science for Fitness:
    Online Strength Coaching, Nutrition Coaching, & In-Person Training

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Thanks for the advice. What is a good alternative for power cleans that can give me the explosiveness. Power Snatches?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hayden-William Courtland View Post
    Sounds like you won't be able to rack the bar, unfortunately. You could try doing some upper arm external rotation stretches with a PVC or broom handle to work on the elbows in position, but based on what you said it will take some time to move the needle and it might not be enough.
    Is there any reason a person couldn't benefit from power cleans even if they can't rack technically correctly? For a squat clean, I can definitely see the need for proper rack position but power cleans are more forgiving since you don't have to do a front squat. Thank you for your time.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    43,681

    Default

    How about a video of your clean?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    430

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dalan View Post
    Is there any reason a person couldn't benefit from power cleans even if they can't rack technically correctly? For a squat clean, I can definitely see the need for proper rack position but power cleans are more forgiving since you don't have to do a front squat. Thank you for your time.
    It becomes problematic as they weight gets heavier if you can't rack the bar. Your wrists and lower back will be loaded in positions that are not ideal. Post a video of your clean and we will take a look.
    __________________________________________________
    Science for Fitness:
    Online Strength Coaching, Nutrition Coaching, & In-Person Training

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    129

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayden-William Courtland View Post
    It becomes problematic as they weight gets heavier if you can't rack the bar. Your wrists and lower back will be loaded in positions that are not ideal. Post a video of your clean and we will take a look.
    Makes sense, especially the lower back part. Fwiw, I'm just asking a dumb question,. OP is who you want the form check from. Thank you for your time and response!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •