starting strength gym

Thread: Having trouble with Power Cleans

Default Having trouble with Power Cleans

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,

I have recently returned to the gym after our forced house arrest.

Weight: 260
    Height: 6’2

Previously, while doing my NLP I did not incorporate the Power Clean.

I would like to take advantage of the setback in my weights to start doing them, but I can seem to physically get my elbows up high enough for the rack position. I tried all different grip widths and the best I could manage was about halfway to where the blue book states the elbows should be. Are there tricks or cues to help this basic requirement for the lift?

For anatomical reference, my bar needs to float about four inches above my chest during a press to keep my elbows from kicking behind me.

I know that there is a subset of lifters that can’t do PC, I would rather not be in that subset if I can help it.

Thanks!

Sounds like you won't be able to rack the bar, unfortunately. You could try doing some upper arm external rotation stretches with a PVC or broom handle to work on the elbows in position, but based on what you said it will take some time to move the needle and it might not be enough.

Thanks for the advice. What is a good alternative for power cleans that can give me the explosiveness. Power Snatches?

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden-William Courtland View Post
    Sounds like you won't be able to rack the bar, unfortunately. You could try doing some upper arm external rotation stretches with a PVC or broom handle to work on the elbows in position, but based on what you said it will take some time to move the needle and it might not be enough.
    Is there any reason a person couldn't benefit from power cleans even if they can't rack technically correctly? For a squat clean, I can definitely see the need for proper rack position but power cleans are more forgiving since you don't have to do a front squat. Thank you for your time.

How about a video of your clean?

Quote Originally Posted by dalan View Post
    Is there any reason a person couldn't benefit from power cleans even if they can't rack technically correctly? For a squat clean, I can definitely see the need for proper rack position but power cleans are more forgiving since you don't have to do a front squat. Thank you for your time.
    It becomes problematic as they weight gets heavier if you can't rack the bar. Your wrists and lower back will be loaded in positions that are not ideal. Post a video of your clean and we will take a look.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayden-William Courtland View Post
    It becomes problematic as they weight gets heavier if you can't rack the bar. Your wrists and lower back will be loaded in positions that are not ideal. Post a video of your clean and we will take a look.
    Makes sense, especially the lower back part. Fwiw, I'm just asking a dumb question,. OP is who you want the form check from. Thank you for your time and response!