starting strength gym

Thread: Modifying the Texas Method by Moving the Volume Pull

Default Modifying the Texas Method by Moving the Volume Pull

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Back before the world paused, I was running a classic, out of the box Texas Method:

Sunday: Volume Squat, Volume Press or Bench, Volume Powerclean or Speed Deadlift
    Tuesday: Light Squat, Medium Press or Bench and Back Extensions
    Thursday: Intensity Squat, Intensity Press or Bench, Intensity Deadlift

I was running out of time on my volume day workout, and I was out of gas when it came time to do volume pulls. I didn't have the speed to do the cleans properly because I was exhausted and workouts were taking more than two hours. I got to some pretty decent numbers, but I was a sloppy, grindy mess and I want to take the time to do it right.

After I have gone through the Starting Strength library, I am currently sorting out form creep problems with my squat and deadlift by just being super strict with form and running a basic three day NLP from a relatively light weight. I won't have the time for marathon workouts like on a normal Texas Method program, but I wanted to do something like this to make the scheduling work:

Monday: Volume Squat, Volume Bench or Press
    Tuesday: Powercleans, Weighted Chinups
    Wednesday: Light Squat, Medium Press or Bench, Back Extensions
    Thursday: Rest
    Friday: Intensity Squat, Intensity Press or Bench, Intensity Deadlift

Advantage: I will be fresh for the powercleans meaning that I will be faster and thus able to handle heavier loads, and will be able to add weighted chin-ups back into my program.
    Disadvantage: This will push the volume pull closer to the intensity day, and it may result in incomplete recovery by intensity day.

Does anyone care to weigh in on this? I think that it is a reasonable modification to the Texas Method and I should be able to make some decent progress with it. I think that this will work because there is less weight being used on the powercleans, which will impose less systemic stress.

Thank you,

James.

4-day Texas works quite well and many like it. I'm not opposed to this. Even my lifters who had the time to do 3-day ended up moving the day 1 pull over to an additional day.

This reminds me of some TM variations in PPST that spplit volume day in a similar fashion. One is the Hybrid for Ol lifting, the other I forgot the name.

I don't think the disadvantage is really an issue. I'd be more worried about p-cleaning with stiff and sore legs and hips from monday. But that may still be better than doing them at the end of the workout.

Agree with your points. I'm hoping that the powercleans will help me shake out the soreness and loosen up a day after after the volume squats.

Quote Originally Posted by ReconquistaBarbell View Post
    This reminds me of some TM variations in PPST that spplit volume day in a similar fashion. One is the Hybrid for Ol lifting, the other I forgot the name.

I don't think the disadvantage is really an issue. I'd be more worried about p-cleaning with stiff and sore legs and hips from monday. But that may still be better than doing them at the end of the workout.
    It's a light pull, it will serve to keep you pulling while loosening things up